Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres where im at with my ls3 intake i been working on in my free time..my org intentions was to run a 5/8" alum rod down the center and cut the runners back so it made for a nice transition..once i took the runners from 9" to 7" it opened up the port entrance a 1.25" in length..so they sit 3.5"x2" at the mouth..

ive thought about using small 1/4" oak dowl with a 90 cut out of it to epoxy to the new lip of the entrance..but the lip is only 1/8th thick an with the mouth going from the side to the roof an with how the air is being sucked in from the front an the roof of the intake to the runner.this now has me wondering just how much it would really be worth vs say if i just rolled the edges on the plastic its self so it has no 90s but is rounded over??..i still have touch ups to do an make a new bottom so doing the dowls isnt much harder but dont wanna waste the free time i do have on something pointless you know.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the port was org 2.25"X2"..if u look at it once i cut the runners down an smoothed the outer edge it made for a extra .25" an for one long ass entrance.figure everything is radiused now in the intake besides the one spot..i know i wish i has a fast or stock ls3 intake to compare to on a dyno..im $300 into the intake counting the 102mm tb but im with out fuel rails so thats another $100 about the same as a china/holley sheet metal would of cost me but the sleeper look of it having a stock intake will be fun.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
What are you expecting for this manifold after your mods to feed? CFM, RPM and HP/TQ??

Reason I ask is because the factory manifolds have definite limits and sometimes all your thoughts and hard work will not get that manifold to do what you need or want.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the stockers seem to max out around 6600rpms when you just do the radius rods mod depending on the size they tend to make the same power as a fast 102 intake..an carry a couple more hundred rpms over stock..

my idea was to gain some power by smoothing everything out but i cut the runner back in hopes to get it to carry to 7500rpms..from what one other guy who did this but didnt vut the runners back he had no issue pulling to 7200 i believe he said..

the rules for the class id like to run the engine says oem intakes,some others or the fast..so if i can make a mid ram fast out my ls3 for $275 or so i think im doing ok..

top end is stock ls3 port,short block is a lq9 with fly cut pistons..13.5-1 comp an hyd roller going on e85

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

this the normal rod mod trick and you can see how it compares to the a fast 102..to correct above the guy who ran his to 7k had shorten then runners .5 and then just did the reg rod mod setup.

·
Banksters Paradise
5,696 Posts
All we need to do now is take it to china, have them mold it, one piece "fast as cast" LS3 intake, and sell them for $699 usd to take fast/msd's customers.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'cuz it's that easy...

;)

ed you just got me,lmfao..being i did injection molding an we made molds also, i know first hand it is not that easy..lol be 50k into the proto type mold probably,ship to china for a real mold.they copy/make one for them selves an then flood the market an im broke..

An there aint know way of telling if this thing is worth a fuck or not just yet..if it sucks hey ill grab a china sheetmetal intake for $250 an be done.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
ed you just got me,lmfao..being i did injection molding an we made molds also, i know first hand it is not that easy..lol be 50k into the proto type mold probably,ship to china for a real mold.they copy/make one for them selves an then flood the market an im broke..

An there aint know way of telling if this thing is worth a fuck or not just yet..if it sucks hey ill grab a china sheetmetal intake for $250 an be done.
Back when I had a real job, I designed various types of injection molds, high speed progressive dies, million dollar automation cells, prototype parts using SLA long before it was affordable... ROI was tough to justify on a lot of experiments.

At a labor rate of 20 cents a day, China can afford to fuck up a lot and just copy. In this country, it ain't so easy.

·
Banksters Paradise
5,696 Posts
'cuz it's that easy...

;)
Hence my hint of sarcasm. If the intake worked it's doable, only need 100k probably to get it happening. But like suicidal said they will just copy it and put it on ebay for half price. Risk versus rewards not worth it. Only the mega rich corporations can copyright their shit with china so it's not copied and resold. Not that anyone else can't, but if you aren't richer than them they just copy it and dont care because their lawyers can beat yours.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looking good, in shortening the runner ....open the throat to match the 102mm tb. Your correct in all that your doing. Have a Ls7 factory intake that needs all what your doing. But can be done for [email protected] peak performance or Darin as I've seen him do his own ls3 intake. I'll ask Zack to see if this is something he may want to fuck with in spare time or the guys @ SAM. Ready to get past this ls3 phase in life.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
peak an pretty much no one has gone as far as me..ive seen peaks deals nothing special,not $400 worth of work trust me on that..their rad shit is just removing the post really..no rod mod done then for a 102mm tb its another $125..your $525 into the thing an the real power is really in the rod mod which you would still have to pay $350 for that to get done..im all set on that

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ls3 is the one needing rod modd...Not the ls7 intake, 7k (rpm) is the baseline, i know 330 cfm is about the peak for it as is. 105mm with runner work i'd be happy Peak, Darin or Zach. My heads get 370's so if i could get more than the 330's to the 350's as is cool. Just a $100 intake i got in the city with rails..Guy replaces stock stuff on wkends 4 folks...
ls 3 & 7 factory intakes,TB,lifters etc...bolt on stuff.

4500 Accufab is whats Wanted not a 105mm 4 myself. Just a 100 dollar intake that i would like 2 c *how much cfm i can get* with observed flow before & after. BTW, my thought is a 105mm on the factory intake. Peak say's it won't fit...no of some1 who's said 2 have done a 108mm on a factory intake. Know of the young man and the test he did with the intakes on ls1sales.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/438754-stock-ls7-flow-info.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/472098-inside-ls7-intake-pics-inside.html

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
cam for the ls7 will be just under 840 lift. Max i could find for a 1.3 diameter street spring...aka endurance Series springs. Suck it all in & Ignite. LOL!

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if anyone is wondering about this creation,i should have some solid real world data from a trusted source for this mod/proto type hybrid of a ls3 intake here in the next couple weeks.

hopefully its not a dud an my effort pays off,being its my first time doing something to this extent with a plastic intake..all in all its really a win win for me because its knowledge gained no matter what:)

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heres a update.first i have to thank the guys at btr for testing it for me.im pretty happy with the results being it did what i was trying to achieve which was make a poor mans mid length runner fast 102..just unlike them which show to loose tq in swap of the extra power,mine kept the same tq but picked up 15hp vs a stock ls3..im impressed with also how long it kept peak hp an held it

stock ls3 dyno

my ported ls3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts