Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Racers,

I have been thinking on this topic for the past few days, and I wanted to see if there is anyone out there that has tried what Im thinking about doing, or how did it work out? The issue at hand involves me buying a $6,000.00 Rossler TurboGlide or changing the rear gears in my car to a lower gear for somewhat the same affect for around $400.00. I have been researching the fact that alot of your big cubic inch nitrous motors on 10.5W's or Radials are going to the "Rossler" transmission with these 1.40-1.57 low gears to be able to run faster and apply the nitrous quicker. From what im hearing, this method seems to be working really well, and Im almost to the point that I want to try it... being that I have a powerglide with your normal 1.80 straight cutt gears...which is a challenge at times. However, I spoke with a knowledgeable tuner, and he told me that it could be possible to have the same affect of going to the rossler trans by putting in a 3.50 or 3.60 rear gear. My combination consist of a 706 BBC with two stages of nitrous, M/T 10.5W 33 rear slicks, and it weighs about 2900 pounds with the drivers. The goal would be to keep my powerglide like it is and run maybe a 3.50 gear to kill some of the hit to be able to apply the nitrous a little earlier. My only concern is how would the car react on the gear change and how would I get the power back up with the rpm level "flat-lining"??? Has anyone tried this or thought about this?? Im just trying to justify spending over $6,000.00 on a trans change vs. a gear change??

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I would change rear gears first, not much money into that. Put it the same first final gear that you would have with the turbo glide and see if your car likes it down low before spending the money on the trans. Doing it this way you may only be out a little money if the car doesn't like it. It may/will be a little lazy going into high gear but you will be able to put more power into it also.... Good luck

·
Registered
342 Posts
Coan also has a two speed TH400 that works great and is much cheaper than the Rossler.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
A 706, in a 2900lb car, with a 33.5 tire and a 3.50 rear gear.............You better have some SERIOUS stones, if you expect to drag that gear after the shift, on that big tire.

As far as the two speed 400s, ours is 8lbs heavier than the glide we had, but did not opt for ALL the super light stuff. It has all Coan stuff, big shaft, roller bearing, trick drums, with a 1.48 gear set. Had over $6500, in just parts from Coan. So to say a Coan is WAY cheaper than a Rossler, or Pro-Formance trans, is not true...........all depends on the parts you have put in it.

Monte

·
Registered
342 Posts
A 706, in a 2900lb car, with a 33.5 tire and a 3.50 rear gear.............You better have some SERIOUS stones, if you expect to drag that gear after the shift, on that big tire.

As far as the two speed 400s, ours is 8lbs heavier than the glide we had, but did not opt for ALL the super light stuff. It has all Coan stuff, big shaft, roller bearing, trick drums, with a 1.48 gear set. Had over $6500, in just parts from Coan. So to say a Coan is WAY cheaper than a Rossler, or Pro-Formance trans, is not true...........all depends on the parts you have put in it.

Monte
Sorry, the std. two speed is cheaper. I've seen a bill for a rossler turboglide that was $9495.00..... :smt119

1 - 13 of 13 Posts