Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dodge Dakota R/T with about 156,000km (96,000 miles), it is my daily driver. Pull out of my drive way a few days ago, thought it was running kinda funny. Get going down the road check engine light came on and was flashing, pulled over stopped and got it towed back home that night.

After I got it home started looking at it, coolant leaking from water pump (gushing out), I had replaced the water pump about 2 weeks before this (bearing was fucked). But there was still lots of coolant left in the rad and overflow bottle, water pump was also burped very well when it was installed. So I keep doing some checking, pull the plugs, a few are white porcine and the rest being what I would call normal. I do a compression test, most are within 5-8 psi but with one down about 20 psi. I do a leak down test on that cylinder and find 95% leakage.

I do some research and find they are very common for heads cracking. I have also had quite a lot of slipping in the 1/2 shift and the tranny needs a rebuild as well. I haven't torn it down because I am still trying to figure out what I should do with it, sell it/fix it, the body is in very good shape, newer tires. So I figured I may as well ask the bullet and see what they think. The truck isn't really worth much fixed or broken as it has a rebuilt title but still not sure what to do with it

So what do you all think?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Build a nice 360 and a 727 for it and have fun.
I would love to, but looking at $4000 or so to do the top end and another $1000 for a tranny. Plus check engine light on and all that bullshit to deal with

Edit: Also forgot to mention its a 2000 Dakota R/T with a regular cab

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A stocker 360 and trans would be a nice street runner, junkyard maybe?
Do a carb and throw the check engine light in the trash.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A V-8 in any small truck is fun and if you don't get to wild can get good milage. Had a 302 C-4 combo in a Ranger with 3.08 gears get 24 mpg.
Was a blast to drive and still haul what I needed it to.

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
How much will it cost to rebuild or find a good motor and trans. verse buying something new or used, if you rebuild it you will know what is in it and what to expect verse buying someone else's problems and alot less then something new.

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,432 Posts
If the body is good and it drives like you want it to. Then fix it. Or you could buy another used POS you know nothing about and have it blow up next month and post this again. At least if you fix it you know it will be fresh.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Can you replace it with something "reliable" for less money?... :smt102
X2
If you buy used you could be getting someone else's problems.
If you're not trying to sell it for profit I say fix it right and you know what you have.
You don't have to tell the wife it's speed parts just that it's needed. lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Shit it is already a V-8, i would slap a junkyard motor in and keep gettin up. Hell of a lot better than a payment or buyin someone else's problems. My old Ford has over 286,000 miles change motor once and trans once but its paid for and keeps on tickin. Plenty of 5.0's and 4 speed trans out there. Love to have a new truck but 500.00 a month plus insurance fuk that i'll keep my old junk. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the body is good and it drives like you want it to. Then fix it. Or you could buy another used POS you know nothing about and have it blow up next month and post this again. At least if you fix it you know it will be fresh.
I agree with that, the only issues it has is the top end and tranny other then that its a good truck. It also wont tow the race car + trailer reliably, and it is a handful to drive in the snow (live on a hill and have to take it around the block to get out of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$4000 to replace the top end on a 360? FUCK THAT! Send it to the crusher.
Well maybe thats a little far off, $1200 for some RHS iron heads, cam, lifters, push rods, rockers, timing chain, gaskets. Gets really expensive because the engine isnt so widely used

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A V-8 in any small truck is fun and if you don't get to wild can get good milage. Had a 302 C-4 combo in a Ranger with 3.08 gears get 24 mpg.
Was a blast to drive and still haul what I needed it to.
Its lots of fun! Dynoed a while back at 230/288, but it gets about 14 mpg while driving like an old lady

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If it meets your needs I would fix it, if not make it gone.
Why such bad milage driving easy?
I sometimes don't like injection for that reason, I have switched from injection to carb a few times and always got better milage.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Check out www.DakotaRT.com and sign up on the forum. Introduce yourself and we can help you with any questions you have for this truck. Boils down to how attached you are to the truck if its worth it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts