Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a state that is mostly shotgun only for general deer season "no slugs", just wanted to see who else here shotgun hunts for deer and their weapon of choice, what brand buckshot ect.

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
I won't hunt deer without slugs. Too difficult to reliably drop a buck with buckshot. We see it all the time when we venture into New Jersey for hunting season - deer hobbling around with limbs damn near blown off, bullet holes all in 'em, not dead. But we are restricted to shotguns where I go to hunt, and we use smooth slugs in rifled barrels. Love us some Remington autoloaders.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I am old school with my slug gun. Remington 1100 with a smooth barrel and 1oz sluggers. Works great out 90+ yards (I have a nice 14pt I dropped at 93 with one slug open sites!) Most of my areas I can't shoot more the 40-50 yards.

I do use a Thompson muzzle loader too

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im not a huge fan of buckshot but its all ive ever been able to use, pretty much have to shoot em in bow range. I hunt with either a 3' 870 or a 3 1/2' 870 and ive always had better patterns out of the green box remington buckshot, My 3 1/2 870 is ported and sleeved with a custom choke and its puts 18 00buck pellets in a 5 inch circle at 40 yards and my 3 inch gun is stock and i use that for dog hunting

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I got to guest hunt in a state that only allows shotgun or bow hunting for about 8yrs and I shot a Browning BPS sluggun. some of the guys I hunted with were old timers from the area and they shot Remington autos with non rifled barrels and they used buckshot. What they would do was open the shells and dump the buckshot out and use a serrated steak knife and saw a split in the shot and connect them together with heavy monofilliment and crimp them. When they shot, they monofiliment would effectively hold the shot in a small pattern. I seen these guys drop some deer like that! The damage it left was brutal, and they were actually shooting them at 50-60yds!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got to guest hunt in a state that only allows shotgun or bow hunting for about 8yrs and I shot a Browning BPS sluggun. some of the guys I hunted with were old timers from the area and they shot Remington autos with non rifled barrels and they used buckshot. What they would do was open the shells and dump the buckshot out and use a serrated steak knife and saw a split in the shot and connect them together with heavy monofilliment and crimp them. When they shot, they monofiliment would effectively hold the shot in a small pattern. I seen these guys drop some deer like that! The damage it left was brutal, and they were actually shooting them at 50-60yds!
my Dad is friends with a gunsmith and he does that using 000 pellets, they say its brutal on a deer

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
my Dad is friends with a gunsmith and he does that using 000 pellets, they say its brutal on a deer
It is! I seen them old guys do some shit that made me shake my head :confused:

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I use a remington 870, and have been using sabbat (spelling) 12 ga round for a while... before that I always used a federal hi-shock slug.

If you have to use buckshot, I would get the longest barrel you can find, or have one made.. regardless all the old school tricks, that will do more to hold a tight pattern then anything.

Black powder rifle I use for black powder season is an old OLD gun, probably one of the first you could buy that had the actual cap on it. Barrel on that thing is really long, I don't remember the actual length but I know the gun from the end of ths stock to the end of the barrel, is 74 1/2 inches. Not an easy one to hold up for a long time but it's accurate.

·
TEAM CARB
45,229 Posts
if you have to use buckshot (?)...slice around the shell with a razer knife...the end will come off rather than open up and it will act like a slug...

·
Registered
137 Posts
what part of va are you from?the only place i hunt that requires shotguns is louisa.i know alot of the eastern half of the state requires shotgun.anyway,if you don't have a shotgun yet look at the mossberg 835 or if you want a semi auto look at the 935.they both shoot 3 1/2 shells.try a few differnt type shells with different chokes and see which one patterns best.i have killed a few deer at 80 yards with shotguns and 000 buck.hope this helps

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what part of va are you from?the only place i hunt that requires shotguns is louisa.i know alot of the eastern half of the state requires shotgun.anyway,if you don't have a shotgun yet look at the mossberg 835 or if you want a semi auto look at the 935.they both shoot 3 1/2 shells.try a few differnt type shells with different chokes and see which one patterns best.i have killed a few deer at 80 yards with shotguns and 000 buck.hope this helps
I hunt with a club in King william county, about 30 mins east of richmond

1 - 20 of 37 Posts