Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever shortened there msd fiber optic wire for the ICT. spoke with msd today and NOW they tell me they dont recommend a wire over 72" long after i bought mine 142" long. they say they found the light weakens after 72" new info about a year or so they say.
so now i have to route the wire differently and cut it. msd says i can cut it with a new razor and then polish it but using a piece of paper while rotating the wire around in a circular motion. anyone try this. you would have thought someone @ msd would have told me about a max of 6' when you order the wire. msd got me again.:mad:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Not quite that simple. I did some fiber optic work years ago and you have to put the fiber in a holder to hold it straight while you polish it with a special paper. Then it needs to be checked with a scope to look for cracks and scratches. If not done perfect it won't work.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I cut mine with a razor blade with no problem,I also work on fuel pumps at work and cut the fiber optic wires for the meter readers with no problem.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MSD sent me this wire that looks like it was cut with a pair of dikes on a 45 degree angle. i rather fix it myself then buy a new one if I can do it correctly. (no wounder i have had nothing but issuse all last season with this) MSD said it should be cut on a 90 degree. also it should be held straight. i have a 5" piece of tubing that it fits threw nicely to keep it rigid. what type of paper can be used to due this? is a 10x scopes enought to check it? thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hint! Next time you see your local phone company's truck sitting at the side of the road by a terminal block cabinet, STOP and talk to the guys. They're usually repairing fiber optic wire and have all the tools of the trade right there with them in the truck. A coffee and a donut will go a long way while they fix your wire.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed, my best bud works for the phone company, coffee works well....
Good idea. I have a friend how works for snet. Calling him now. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I cut mine straight with a razor blade and it works just fine.

·
A Senior Member
3,157 Posts
Any recent information on shortening up this MSD fiber cable?
Thanks
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts