Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting my car back together after it's been sitting 10 years. Using a old stock 302 shortblock I've had sitting. Went high 10s on the bottle last time it was together. Would you put new bearings and rings in or just run it as is and maybe loose and let it fly?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Pull a couple caps and atleast do some inspection. Also do you know what rings it has and the gap? Just take a day for piece of mind and know what you are dealing with. Just my humble opinion

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
After being in storage for ten years, I think the shortblock will need to be finish honed, new rings and bearings installed. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's tough cause I'm on a shoe string budget and it is only a stock ford shortblock. Where I know I'm gonna blow the thing up and another shortblock is 400 bucks. But I do want to go as fast as I can with the thing.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I would put a 300hp plate on it and send it ! Make sure you wire a GoPro up so we can see the results!

Steve

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Do it right the first time, otherwise you will spend more money getting it right. Scrimp on important components and you will very likely end up with a pile of scrap metal with little or no value.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well if you want to run a lot of N20 I would at least open the ring gaps clean up the bottom end and check the bearing clearances. If you can do it yourself that costs nothing at all .

·
Registered
25,348 Posts
Just leak it, pull the rod and main caps. If the bearings look great, torque back down, and run it. If it ran with zero problems before, run it. The rings got to be wide enough gapped if it ran before with a shot with no problems. But, that’s just me.

·
Registered
66,753 Posts
At the very least, I'd pull it apart and look.
X2
Now if the cyl walls have any scale on them, that changes things a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts