Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An opportunity fell in our lap and it looks like we're going to start the process of building a new shop. The land is in the family, so we're going to work with what's available.

I don't have any specifics just yet on the time frame as it's a handshake deal at this point. However, we would be foolish to not move forward with the layout.

Post pics of your shop. It would be nice to understand why you laid it out the way you did. We're going to look at a few local shops and begin to get some ideas for how we want to lay it out. Your help would be appreciated.

I've worked in new dealerships, old dealerships, small shops, big shops, dungeons and taj mahals as well... but this is the first shop I'll build and I want to get it right.

Thanks for your help....

g

·
Registered
129 Posts
Floor Heat, Floor Heat, Floor Heat
The coils for the floor aren't that expensive and it's a one shot deal
Spend the money, put the coils in the floor even if your using other heat methods
Keep your options open

My biggest mistake on my shop

·
Beer makes me pee
9,711 Posts
you mean floor cooling dont you? Last summer it was 100 almost all summer long. Whats all that white stuff?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Floor heat ??
He is in Dallas, it gets cold 6 days a year in Dallas.

I'd be more concerned with a solid AC system and fans to move air around inside.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Floor Heat, Floor Heat, Floor Heat
The coils for the floor aren't that expensive and it's a one shot deal
Spend the money, put the coils in the floor even if your using other heat methods
Keep your options open

My biggest mistake on my shop
I have NO regrets to the radiant heat system I put in my shop when I built it. Bigger initial investment, but It's quiet, doesn't dry the air, and the temp is even everywhere. Nicer in there than my own house.:cool:

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
An opportunity fell in our lap and it looks like we're going to start the process of building a new shop. The land is in the family, so we're going to work with what's available.

I don't have any specifics just yet on the time frame as it's a handshake deal at this point. However, we would be foolish to not move forward with the layout.

Post pics of your shop. It would be nice to understand why you laid it out the way you did. We're going to look at a few local shops and begin to get some ideas for how we want to lay it out. Your help would be appreciated.

I've worked in new dealerships, old dealerships, small shops, big shops, dungeons and taj mahals as well... but this is the first shop I'll build and I want to get it right.

Thanks for your help....

g
What specifics when you say "shop"...? A building for a single race team...or a multi-bay repair facility?

If your looking for general ideas...one of the best places on the net....www.garagejournal.com

·
Registered
256 Posts
We have heaters that are run with used oil, a product our shop has a great deal of. Have not paid a heat bill or paid for heating oil in 18 years. Of course, in Texas you would not find this to be cost saving, but hey, just thought I would throw that out.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
40x60 heated with 20' by 40' open on each end 20' shed roof the entire length of the building front and back. The lowest ceiling would be 14'. And if you are anything like me this will still not be big enough. 4 12x12 doors front and back with a 12x12 door on each end. I live were it is hot and more open it is the better. I do not believe in an ac in a shop. All utilities are overhead plus between every door and in every corner. Plus plenty of big oaks to shade the afternoon sun.

·
Registered
227 Posts
our biggest problem was getting permits from the city. the property we started with had a small trailer like building that was where the cashier was for a small gas station. we got the permit to build, but they wouldnt give us a permt to remove the existing building. that was seperate and ofcourse more money. dont know what the hold up was, but after some delay the permit to remove the building was given. and it didnt get any better from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts