Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get an oil filter for my mower, $14 for an oem B&S filter. The place had a sign, shop rate of $100.00 an hr for a small engine repair shop. A bit steep IMO, but maybe it is the going rate? I do all my own work on my junk so it is crazy to me.

·
Super Moderator
1968 Camaro Z28, 1933 Chevy Coupe, 2004 Silverado Z71, 1946 Chevy PU, 2000 Custom Harley Davidson
51,001 Posts
Last time I was in the local mower shop around here was at least 5 years ago, buying some belts. The sign then said $95 per hour. I'm sure it's more now.

But insurance companies pay body shops between $46 and $54 per hour to work on $20,000 to $80,000 vehicles.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
When I left the Seattle area 4 years ago, the average shop rate for Dealerships (cars not lawnmowers) was over $200 per hr. I moved to Maine and one of the rural Ford Dealerships shop rate was $80 per hr. They are now sitting at $100 per hr.
Went to work at a Chevrolet/Cadillac Dealership "in town" and they just upped their rate to $144 per hr.
It all depends on where you live.

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
$100-150 is the norm for mechanical shit around here, at least at a shop. Guys looking to pick up a few bucks on the side will usually work cheaper if it's not too much hassle.

Reactions: randyreed79

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,105 Posts
OP do you own a business? Honest question. I own half a transmission shop, I calculated our overhead the other day. Before we buy a single part, our operating cost is about $4 a MINUTE. We “only” charge $100 an hour.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
300$ an hour at the local 13 letter shit spreader dealer. Isuzu dealer is at 210$, we are at 170$. Family friend owns a small engine shop and he’s at 85$. Everything has shot wayyy up since bidet took office.

·
Registered
28,232 Posts
Last time I was in the local mower shop around here was at least 5 years ago, buying some belts. The sign then said $95 per hour. I'm sure it's more now.

But insurance companies pay body shops between $46 and $54 per hour to work on $20,000 to $80,000 vehicles.
Very true Frank and my buddy runs his own body shop and said he thinks the paint reps were making more per year than he was just doesn't make sense does it!! Not to mention parts shortages he was telling me he paid 4 grand for parts out of his own money and was still waiting for parts and he wasn't getting the 4 grand back until the job was done!!

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
$100 plus labor rates are fine when the mechanic knows what they are doing which most don't. Local JD dealing tried to fix a friend of mines lawn tractor. after a month he stopped in, they told him the engine needed a full rebuild. He told them never mine put in on the trailer, dealer said they had five hours in it and wanted $600. He argued with them because it was no better than when he dropped it off and they lower the bill to $300. I told him to bring it over to my garage, it needed a new ignition switch and a coil. $85 of parts and he was back mowing. He did go back and lambasted the dealership.

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
OP do you own a business? Honest question. I own half a transmission shop, I calculated our overhead the other day. Before we buy a single part, our operating cost is about $4 a MINUTE. We “only” charge $100 an hour.
So then you should be shutting the doors in a month if your overhead is 240.00 and hour and you charge 100 an hour.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I been out so long, I know here the dealers charge 150 hr. for diesel repairs it is 300 hr. most shops are packed still here and some even turning work away.

Reactions: Mad Machine
1 - 20 of 44 Posts