Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out what a dealership shop foreman makes per year. I work for a GMC dealership and there is a opening for that position. I'm trying to see what the going pay is to see if it compairable to what they are offering. Also what types of bonus or perks do you get? ie Demo? Gas? If you do not want to post here maybe you could PM me the info.

·
Registered
305 Posts
our shop foreman makes well over 100k a year, not sure on salary, but he gets an amount for every hour turned in the shop. (this is at an infinity/Maserati/Porsche shop)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Some shop foremans make over 7 figures a year, depends on where you work. :eek:

Ask any of the professional stick and ball sports, and the dealers makes more on they sponsonsor (stick and ball) most of the shit.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Do you belong to the GM tech's forum on service.gm.com? I've read some posts on there about guys that don't like the position. All the headaches and grief from techs, management and customers. They may not discuss salary but may talk about perks.
I was "awarded" that position because I was the senior guy. All it got me was all the problem child cars and the fussy customers, i.e. Corvettes...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
It all depends on what you will actually be doing. Me, I am responsible for qc of what is coming out of the shop, and getting through problems that people can't fix. And I usually end up with the problem childs, which I don't mind. I get paid a base salary, but I also turn wrenches. Depending on where you are, and what you are actually doing, you can make anywhere from $50k-100k. It's all relative to what your job duties will be.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Some shop foremans make over 7 figures a year, depends on where you work. :eek:

Ask any of the professional stick and ball sports, and the dealers makes more on they sponsonsor (stick and ball) most of the shit.
7 figures? As in 1,000,000.00? That's a lot of coin for any guy who works in a car dealership.

And can you please translate the second comment?

g

·
Get you some
3,419 Posts
you should be able to gross 1500 per week. That is real any less and your a chump falling for cheap ass labor for corp dealership..
I have done all types of pay scales. none work when its slow. CSI is also bullsit too. If the writer sucks and customer hates their car you lose money. It should be based on shop hours turned by the whole shop. Have repaors done and see the numbers before you sign a new pay plan. One other thing is I have seen the guys you were friends with in the shop will change the way they see you.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
7 figures? As in 1,000,000.00? That's a lot of coin for any guy who works in a car dealership.

And can you please translate the second comment?

g
Just ask what the NBA (National Basketball League) Union member make. They are not even on schedule to play this year yet. But he make his salary. :mad:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what will your duties be?? still turning wrenches, or assisting other techs w problem cars? quality control?
All of the above, then give me a helper and train him for my position, then work into a full time Shop Foreman. So I would tech/foreman for a year or two. But the kicker is they are saying it is about a 5-6k month job when I'm a "full time" Shop foreman position. I make about 8K a month now turning wrenches with out a helper. Have not talked much about pay but we are suppose to sit down tomorrow and talk again. I told them I could not take that kind of pay cut to get my ass chewed on all them time.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alot of it is going to depend on the size of the dealership. I have been at dealers that have been over 100K with 20 techs, and dealerships that were lucky to be 50K with 6 techs.
13 techs and 2 helpers. We are the #1 GMC dealer in Texas (been#1 in the nation a few times) in sales.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
our base is 48k, with a production and csi bonus added to that. About the same size shop in your neighboring state, chevy store

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GM Master Tech, $30.00 a hour. I do drivability and Duramax Diesel. Cover in other areas when they need me. Remember I'm in Texas where we stay busy, dont have a winter, and don't have rusted up BS to work on. LOADED pin my ass. We have about 4 techs over 100k a year.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Why would you even ask what a foreman should make when you are probally the highest paid mechanic in the world.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts