Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy shooting and I work at a prison and by their standards I'm a pistol expert, I know by competition standards I suck. Right now I own a M&P 40c a Para GI Expert 45, and a sig pro 2022. there are some local guys that have competitions and I would probably use my m&p or borrow my fathers XDm 40.

What do you guys think is a good comp pistol starter. I like the MP's and would consider getting a fullsize. Any advice are pointers you guys could give me on improving or gun choice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
What are you looking to compete in? IPSC, IDPA, three gun matches, open classes, limited classes, semi auto, wheel gun, etc.

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an open class that they shoot around here. No specified caliber for the class I want to enter.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Look at the Sig "Mosquito"... It's got a good feel, good balance, and shoots .22 long rifle so you can plink all day and get all the practice you want CHEAP!!! 550 rounds for less than $20..

My next choice would be something in 9mm......again for the cheaper ammo. I got through a MINIMUM of 100 rounds a week so the cost of ammo can add up pretty quick.

Good luck and most importantly, be safe and have fun!!!

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I used to shoot in multiple leagues a week and I had more fun shooting my .22's than anything. We had an open class that I used an open sighted Smith Mod 41 in w/ high rise grips and weights w/extented front sight. I also used an original Ruger Mark I in another class , bone stock. It was the cheapest fun I ever had. Most of the guys either shot Mod 41's or Walthers in the open class. I currently have a Smith 22A that I play with....however I am not happy with the recoil spring set-up it has. If I were to get back into something like this again I would drag out the 41 or get an older Walther

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Is this a static "standing there staring at a target" type of match, or a dynamic "run and gun" match like IPSC or IDPA? Do you start from the holster? My first pistol I shot competitively (IDPA) was a Ruger P95. Despite its status as a "Crunchenticker", I was able to get a decent first shot off, and won a few matches with it. If it were a more precision-oriented match I'm sure another firearm would have been better.

The biggest thing that made me better was practice, both live fire and dry fire (to work on my drawstroke and trigger control on the first shot). I bought the same model timer that was usually used at the matches and used it both for dry fire and live fire practice (I would react to the buzzer to draw, then smack the side of the timer with my off hand just after taking my first shot, since the sound of the hammer dropping was not enough to stop the timer). I also occasionally practiced my first shot times with a primer-only case in the pistol, for an accurate first shot time.

If you don't already do it, get into reloading so you can afford to shoot enough to improve.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Take any of your pistols and a holster and a few hundred rounds to the next or nearest IDPA match. Try the stock service pistol class or ask around. Works with the guns you have (it will make you better with them, and you already have them). Then get a rule book and a membership (it used to be $30 or so a year). The rule book has a list of 'accepted' holsters for use in competition. No high speed laser guns. Move and shoot or static and shoot, reloads, and against a clock.

Loads of fun.

More level playing field (no advantage to higher capacity mags and such)
The Para with Custom Defensive Pistol - that's sorta like stepping to a Super Stock class or index race with a taxi cab (those guys have lots of money and lots of time, the CDP shooters not taxi guys!).

Around here it was Sunday Mornings. You did not have to be a member of the range(s) if you were an IDPA member, they charged like $5 or $10 for the day. Plus, they usually had other matches going on (cowboy action shooting and such), which is pretty cool to watch.

I am a 1911 guy, but, my first season was with a Ruger, mine was a P89(CHEAP at the pawn shop!). I placed most of the time, started getting better when I went to a Taurus 92 and a High-Power. I stuck with 9mm because it was cheap, I don't reload(not yet).

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Bar50,
As I understand it, the IDPA rule about the holster list no longer valid, they just have a "generic" set of requirements now.
http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf
Effective April 15, 2005, the IDPA “Approved Holster List” is no
longer in effect and holsters previously listed are NOT
necessarily approved for IDPA competition.

Also, don't be afraid to take on those custom-shop pistols in CDP with something less expensive. I won many matches with my Ruger P97 in CDP.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh, I took on the guys in CDP, but they were like doctors and rich dudes that spend days at the range, Its been longer than 5 years since I used to shoot IDPA (man time flies!). I used to try different classes to get some more trigger time. Some of the most fun I had with a hobby.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Yup, I really miss shooting IDPA regularly. I lived in Eastern NC at the time, and I could hit about 5 matches a month within 90 minutes of my house. Lots of REALLY good shooters at those matches as well, including a bunch of Delta guys from Fort Bragg. I started out shooting my P95 in SSP, then for more of a challenge I started shooting my Kel-Tec P11 in SSP (probably should have just reclassified into a tougher level of SSP). A buddy kept teasing me about winning so much in SSP, pointing out that the "real men" were in CDP. I picked up my P97 and started shooting CDP, then eventually switched to a EAA Witness .45 Compact in CDP (which I could start cocked and locked unlike the P97). Just before I moved I picked up a Para-Ord P10-45 that I shot in a few matches. One running joke was that any of my "competition pistols" could also be used in the Back-up Gun class!

I moved to Oregon and discovered that there were no IDPA matches within about 3 hours of me. Now there are a couple of them a month within about 2 hours, and there is a new program starting up at a range 30 minutes from my house. Time to dust off the old timer and start playing again!

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
Are you looking to shoot what you carry? Or are you looking to "game"?

For a "gamer gun" or doesn't get any cheaper than a Glock 34/35. It was built specifically to fit IDPA's box, comes with the lighter trigger, longer sight radius over the standard full size Glock, and fits Stock Service Pistol rules. When I was trying my hand at IDPA, I shot it with my Glock 19, with a match barrel and lightened trigger (all SSP-legal mods, and exactly how I carry it), but the shorter sight radius (1.36 inches, IIRC) was noticeable.

Even though I usually finished in the overall top ten, I was shooting about 200-300 rounds a week (in 100-round sessions at the range) and when ammo prices jumped (I was paying 11.88/100 for 9mm at Wal-Mart when I started), I couldn't afford to stay in practice like I would have liked, and stopped competing.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I can definitely tell you about ammo!!!
Walmart is the cheapest place to buy 9mm these days. I'm paying about $.20 a round right now for the Winchester "White box" FMJ and about $.19 a round for the Federal. There's the cheaper Tulamo steel cased stuff, But I don't really care for it and it's not quite as accurate in my pistol.

It's a TON of fun though and there's a LOT to learn!! From proper stance (especially while MOVING!!), mag change, Tactical mag change, counting your own shots to know what you've got left at all times, safe holding positions while you are "Checking your 6" so you're not "Muzzling" anyone, staying "indexed" at all times, target transitioning, target acquisition, always being aware of the innocent 3rd parties that are also in the mix, etc., etc...All things that would benefit ANY concealed carry holder!!

We also see quite a bit of law enforcement coming out and practicing with us as well as a few Marine Corp "Scout/Snipers", Air Force "Security Forces" and even a Navy "Seal". Some of which are still "Active Duty" and always have quite a bit to "Share" when it comes to instruction.....Which EVERYONE helps with. It's a VERY humbling experience to say the least. I too was one of those that could EASILY out shoot all of my friends when we were out in the woods or on a typical range and just standing in a cubicle.....But that changed REAL quick when I saw some of these guys shoot!!! 6 shots in about 4 seconds, coming out of their holster (3 targets-2 hits on each) leaving just ONE raged hole in each of the targets at a range between 7' and 15' all while moving!!!:smt103:smt119:shock::-HS

WAY COOL!!!!

If more people would shoot and drill like we do every week, there's a better chance the yahoo in Arizona would have only had about 1.5 seconds to do his damage before he would have had the FIRST round hit him.......and in IDPA, you RARELY only shoot ONCE. It's almost always a "Controlled Pair".......unless you are shooting the steel targets anyway.:smt071

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The competition is more of a shoot and move competition from the holster. I'm ok coming out of a holster but not great. I like the combat type comps where bullseye accuracy isnt as important. I think I would like to have a S&W 40 fullsize to start with. I would love to use my 1911 but I know compared to other guns its not up to standard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts