Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have the correct spring rate? Is my math correct? 1216 total rear weight. Unsprung weight roughly 275 (using wheels, 12bolt rearend, shocks) 1216-275 = 941 /2 = 470 per side. 12" spring at 35% = 4.2. 470/4.2 =111.9. So 110 to 120 spring? I question this because the springs that are on the car I bought are 150#. Shock is mounted on the front side of the rearend.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
How does it do with the springs/shocks forward of the diff? I've been debating that when I go to coilovers to put them in front.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
In front changes the leverage the spring has. Better to stay with springs behind housing to be easier to tune if there is room.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car had the shocks in front when I bought it. I would have preferred them to be in the rear. Just wondering if the spring rate is correct.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
If it holds the car up standing still, is not overly compressed from free height and does not coil bind on acceleration, it should work. Put tie wraps on shock shaft where they come out of the shock body and see how much they move during a run. Shocks mounted at the front have less leverage than behind the housing. I built a BBC 4 link Chevette back in the day and had to locate the coil overs in the front. to be able to install wheelie bars. It worked fine, 8.90 at 153.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and measured today. Shocks installed at 14.5". 12" springs installed at 8.25". I would think this is good. I did put zipties on shaft and the tie was up into the bumper even with compression on 6. Brand new strange double adjustables. Going to plot 4 link next. Could the IC be too short and low causing squat and rearend lift?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts