Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this board, but i am having some traction issues, i am wonder if you guys can give me some advice. I have 3500lb impala with a ladder bar setup with double adjustable Afco shocks with a 150 lb spring on the rear. I have the the lower bar parallel to the ground (0 degrees). I have tried the rear shock adjustments everywhere, the only way i can get it to leave it to take a bunch of timing out, then the 60ft is not there. I have set the ladder bars with zero preload, also the car has an anti roll device which is also set neutral with driver. The front has Moroso trick springs with an afco double adjustable shock with the extension at the loosest setting. The car initaially hooks, wrinkling the tire up, front tires come up about 8 inches, then starts spinning and sets the front tires back down. The engine is a 496 bbc with a powerglide with a 1.92 low gear, 3800 stall. The motor makes about 700hp with about 350hp of nitrous, if anyone has any comments please let me know what you think. thanks,

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
From what you've described, it sounds like the rear shocks might be topping out during the launch. Have you checked for this?

What are your rear shock settings?

What hole is the front of the ladder bar in?

How much air press in the slicks?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you've described, it sounds like the rear shocks might be topping out during the launch. Have you checked for this?

What are your rear shock settings?

What hole is the front of the ladder bar in?

How much air press in the slicks?
I am not sure what you mean about the rear shocks topping out?? I do know that the shocks have about 2" from bind @ ride hieght, the shock is a 7" stroke shock. I have tried the shock settings everywhere, the last setting was all the way loose on the extension and 1/2 # of clicks on compression The ladder bar is in the top hole, the lower bar is 0 (flat) to the ground. I am using a 295/65 drag radial, the tire initailly hooks, then rotates 1/2 -1 revolution, then spins hard. thanks for your input.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Topping out = when the shock reaches its full extension (on the launch)

What do you mean: about 2" from bind @ ride height ?
Is this how much of the rod is showing from the top of the main body of the shock to the underneath side of the bumper ?

Lets say this is what it is, that is only a little more than 3" of possible extension travel. Hmmmmmm.

Something to try next time is to tighten up the compression of the rear shocks even more. With the extension set full-loose, the car should (sounds like) weight transfer ok. With the tighter compression settings, it might hold the weight on the rear axle a bit longer.

How much front end travel does the car have ?
Running any limiters - stock or otherwise ?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is correct, at ride height as if it were setting at the starting line, there is 2 inches between top of body and bottom of bumper. I do not have a way to post a video, but it lifts the front wheels about 5 inches, and the rear suspension dont look like it separates from the body, what happens if both sides of the shock were set on the softest setting?
I do not have any from limiters, no bump stops or anything.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Can you move the rear end up and down by hand?

If on the video you do not see any separation between the wheel and the body you have something bound up.

On a ladder bar car you need 60% of the shock travel in the extension direction..

Measure from the ground to the top of the rear wheel well. Jack up the car on the frame (Let the rear end hang) you should have at a minimum 3.5" before the shock tops out.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
You don't want the shock settings the same, well not based on your car anyways. On some applications they will be close.

You need to get the weight transfered from the front of the car to the rear as quick as possible. This is where setting the extension side of the shock to full loose helps.

Now with the additional weight back over the rear axle, you need to hold it there for added traction. This is where the compression side of the shock set to "tight" helps. The shock won't compress as easy. If it were to, all that extra weight will go right back up front.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
How much air press ?

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
tried from 14-17psi. at 14 psi, the sidewall wrinkled pretty bad, was told that a M/T radial does not need to wrinkle the sidewall.

thanks for your help.

What did the car do when the tires were set at 17 lbs ?

How wide are the rear rims ?

Radials seem to work well when they are installed on the widest rim the tire can fit on, the sides almost flat - no belly.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seemed like from 15-17 psi, it didnt change anything to try to hook different.

the rims are 10" wide

From what i have read on here and other sites, i think most of my problems are in the shock adjustment. The ladder bars are in the top hole, and the lower bar is level, no preload in ladder bars, antiroll neutral. Where should the double adjustable shocks be set at for a starting point? full loose on extension and full stiff on the compression???? thanks

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Full loose on extension.
Start a couple clicks back from full tight on the compression.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
went to the track this weekend for some test n tune. I set the shocks full loose on extension and 2 clicks from full stiff on the compression, still spun tires hard on launch. next pass, I loosened the compression all the way to full loose and made another pass, hooked and went 1.33 60ft. Why is this working opposite that everyone states??? thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
went to the track this weekend for some test n tune. I set the shocks full loose on extension and 2 clicks from full stiff on the compression, still spun tires hard on launch. next pass, I loosened the compression all the way to full loose and made another pass, hooked and went 1.33 60ft. Why is this working opposite that everyone states??? thanks

Generally if your are full loose on your shock settings, you need to be more aggressive on the suspension settings.

Raise the ladder Bar, Raise the ride height of the car. Loosen the front suspension, move weight back and higher.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.