Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 camaro mini tubed,split monos,caltrac bars, drag radials street strip car LS turbo, automatic trans around 800 hp out back,what shocks you guys recommend,strang,afco and also what kind of springs on the front? Thinking of running stock a-arms also but not 100% sure yet and would like a setup that will be decent at best on the street but get it done at the track,Thanks Chris

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Strange are decent/very good....But Afco's are better. Unless you want to get into the 'Really' high end shock market...

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Fixing to buy shocks for all four corners for a very similar build. I had it narrowed down to the same two leaning towards Afco's however I heard that Afco has had a few qualiity control issues like shocks leaking after a few runs. Anyone else hear this? Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do the santhuffs work with stock control arms ? I heard you have to modify the stock lowers when running the big bodied affcos and what about the strange? Anyone got a front spring recommendation for this build? Thanks

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I'm also deciding this right now for my build. It's between Afco's and Santhuff's, even though it's getting to the end of the build and cash is running low I will spend for the Santhuff's if they make a difference. That is the question, what if any improvement can I expect for an X275 car?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm also deciding this right now for my build. It's between Afco's and Santhuff's, even though it's getting to the end of the build and cash is running low I will spend for the Santhuff's if they make a difference. That is the question, what if any improvement can I expect for an X275 car?
I just switched from AFCO's to Santhuffs, great move, I run a 29.5/10.5 tire so I do not know about the 275's but I can tell you that when you make a move one window or one click something happens. I see higher ds speed loosen one window and they drop, it is wonderful! Very tunable to any track I have been on with very little movement one way or another. ~ Jason

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont think i can stomach the price of the santhuffs after looking at them with everything else i still need for this build right now so it may be the strange or affco for me,Do any of you guys know what front spring would be best for my setup with what i listed? Do I need to modify my stock lower arms with these two front shocks? Thanks

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I just switched from AFCO's to Santhuffs, great move, I run a 29.5/10.5 tire so I do not know about the 275's but I can tell you that when you make a move one window or one click something happens. I see higher ds speed loosen one window and they drop, it is wonderful! Very tunable to any track I have been on with very little movement one way or another. ~ Jason
Thanks for this feedback it's what I've been looking for. I've run a bunch of searches but most people just recommend what they run. Good to hear a comparison. How did it affect your 60'? Get down the track any smoother? Alot of the positive feedback I've heard about them is around how consistent they are, has that been your experience? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for broke(literally).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for this feedback it's what I've been looking for. I've run a bunch of searches but most people just recommend what they run. Good to hear a comparison. How did it affect your 60'? Get down the track any smoother? Alot of the positive feedback I've heard about them is around how consistent they are, has that been your experience? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for broke(literally).
I do not think your et will change, but in my opinion it will stay way more consistant for sure. We 60'd good with the AFCO's best of 1.15 but it was here and there. Most 60's with the AFCO's were 1.17-1.19 range. Now with the Santuffs we went a 1.14 & 1.16 yesterday on a track that the race was called for due to "poor" track conditions. LOL..... Don't buy them thinking your et's will improve because they more than likely will not, but they are more tunable/repeatable for sure. I also think they showed me by tuning them to what worked,other areas in my suspension that were not optimial. Might sound crazy but I could not hear the AFCO talk to me but I can hear the Santuff loud and clear.LOL ~ Jason

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I heard you have to modify the stock lower Control Arms when running the big bodied Afco's
They supply you with a ring for the upgrade. I was running QA1's on the front (C-3 Corvette) which I had previously opened up the lower control arm opening's at the bottom for, had to open up a tiny bit more for the Afco's, but that was all, didn't use they're supplied ring...not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.