Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I want to start a project up once my car is back on the road.

We are thinking another third gen or a 4th gen.

Looking at sheetmetal floor front to back, firewall, 25.2, tube front, glass doors, glass front end with full lights, lexan.

BBC, not sure on the power adder.

How much work would the sheetmeal be? Woth the effort for the weight loss?

Keep in mind I am a sheetmetal fabricator by trade.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I was going to say, it would probably be one of your biggest expenses, but if your a sheetmetal fabricator by trade, GO FOR IT! You can do it for probably $4-500, plus the cost of the tubs(unless you want to build those too). You wont save TONS of weight, but Id say 40lbs or so(guesstimate). Plus, it looks so much cleaner with all new interior in it!
Good luck. Be sure to post pics if you decide to do it.
Kyle

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would you brace the car? Not sure I want to cut it out not braced good being a unibody car.

I know S&W sells some kits for it.

Tubs would not be that hard but I am not that great at rolling yet.

I know Ill save more wight just in tubing the front end but yeah it does look killer with a sheetmetal floor and firewall.

·
Registered
564 Posts
well, if youre turning it into 25.2 that is basically all the bracing you are gonna need. and the body has now in theory become a shell that does not do a whole lot. a suggestion would be to tie the front frame rails into the main rails in the 25.2. i would try to leave the firewall in though as that is your main structure point in a unibody vehicle. where are you a sheet metal fab guy?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, if youre turning it into 25.2 that is basically all the bracing you are gonna need. and the body has now in theory become a shell that does not do a whole lot. a suggestion would be to tie the front frame rails into the main rails in the 25.2. i would try to leave the firewall in though as that is your main structure point in a unibody vehicle. where are you a sheet metal fab guy?

Well I thought about a full tube front end, no factory frame rails but I don't know if that would work that easy, sure it would work...

I do seetmetal on aircraft, a lot of building stuff from scratch.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True but no tube front end cars around here on the street. Well, you se it very rarley and they are driven off the trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts