Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody running one of these 427 sbc "econo" shortblocks or complete engines? thinking about getting one and puttin my brodix track 1's on it. the price seems very reasonable compared to buying equal parts and paying machine shop to do all that machine work on an "old " block and building it.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Yeah, a few here have that set up, I dont think anyone was over the top pleased. Its the upper end thats the issue not the short block

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was really trying to find out about quality of the parts and reliability of the build. i just had a costly experience with a used engine and a local builder. i have a brodix top end and nothing else. i am buying everything new and thought instead of trying to buy some parts and a junkyard block buying a assembled shortblock would more efficient both time wise and money wise.

·
Registered
912 Posts
RUN. Years ago I did a 434 short block from him. Ran into some issues with the motor, not overall pleased with the service he provided. Don't want this to start into a bashing thread, but run very far away. There are a bunch of good builders out there. Key is to find one you trust after talking to them for a while. It's your $$$$$, spend it where you feel comphy!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Pascal Lecompte from L&L Racing Engines in Oxford, Michigan, built me a 421 short with a custom comp cam installed for around the cost of the Shafiroff equivalent, but with better internals (We got Callies crank and rods, not Eagle). We are using ported Track 1 heads (old castings) and ran some good numbers in very hot conditions first up on the weekend in our dragster. The short is superb, exactly what we asked for and funnily enough, the engine is much smoother down the track than our old 355 Chev 010 block bottom end.
The best part is, they answer emails, dont try to sell you stuff you dont want and are prepared to listen. Give them a try!
www.landlracingengines.com

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
With your heads I would stay with a 421.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net/SBC_408_427_434__RS.html

Heard nothing but good from these guys

I was a what I called a long term customer (been going there for 4 years) and had NO plans to go else where but Nyes. I had a chirp going on with my 582bbc, kept looking and looking finally found a lifter going south (#1 exhaust) labor day last year, stuck a set of used lifter I had in it to finish the last few races. Took it to them a few weeks later for a completer freshen up. Got it back a few weeks later (but couldnt find my lifter I just put in it to give me back ?) made identical power and ran a tenth slower and you guessed it, its chirping like a song bird again. Called down there and they assured me there was no issue engine wise and it may just chirp like some engines. I raced it 21 passes total before another lifter broke on #1 exhaust again. This time it made carnage of everything, not only did they NOT even want to look at it, I bascially got the F U salute out of the deal IMO. If they treat me this way, after being there 4 years and several freshen ups and sending nearly 75k worth of other people engines/short blocks and rebuilds there, how is a new customer going to get it ??? It didnt take long for emails and call to me to figure out, lots of issues going on down there. Needless to say I cut ties and went to someone else and I suggest the same to everyone else. When business gets so busy your quality and parts go to the pisser .. you have a issue. :smt103

Thats the long answer ... the short answer is if you plan to have something long term and run it without issue, go to someone who you trust that is somewhat close so if there is a issue you can go there instead of call them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Pascal Lecompte from L&L Racing Engines in Oxford, Michigan, built me a 421 short with a custom comp cam installed for around the cost of the Shafiroff equivalent, but with better internals (We got Callies crank and rods, not Eagle). We are using ported Track 1 heads (old castings) and ran some good numbers in very hot conditions first up on the weekend in our dragster. The short is superb, exactly what we asked for and funnily enough, the engine is much smoother down the track than our old 355 Chev 010 block bottom end.
The best part is, they answer emails, dont try to sell you stuff you dont want and are prepared to listen. Give them a try!
www.landlracingengines.com
Hi Mike, thank you very much for the kind words. I am very happy to hear that you finally made it down the track in nice fashion!!!!!:p

That is one thing you will get from us is reply to any emails since we are a small shop and handle all the customers inquiries directly and also build all the engines as well.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I was a what I called a long term customer (been going there for 4 years) and had NO plans to go else where but Nyes. I had a chirp going on with my 582bbc, kept looking and looking finally found a lifter going south (#1 exhaust) labor day last year, stuck a set of used lifter I had in it to finish the last few races. Took it to them a few weeks later for a completer freshen up. Got it back a few weeks later (but couldnt find my lifter I just put in it to give me back ?) made identical power and ran a tenth slower and you guessed it, its chirping like a song bird again. Called down there and they assured me there was no issue engine wise and it may just chirp like some engines. I raced it 21 passes total before another lifter broke on #1 exhaust again. This time it made carnage of everything, not only did they NOT even want to look at it, I bascially got the F U salute out of the deal IMO. If they treat me this way, after being there 4 years and several freshen ups and sending nearly 75k worth of other people engines/short blocks and rebuilds there, how is a new customer going to get it ??? It didnt take long for emails and call to me to figure out, lots of issues going on down there. Needless to say I cut ties and went to someone else and I suggest the same to everyone else. When business gets so busy your quality and parts go to the pisser .. you have a issue. :smt103

Thats the long answer ... the short answer is if you plan to have something long term and run it without issue, go to someone who you trust that is somewhat close so if there is a issue you can go there instead of call them.
I was wondering what happened......

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
No doubt we could build you a nice shortblock. 421/427ci/ 434ci..... We've got the best reputation for quality sportsman engines here in the Pacific NW. Lemme know if we can help. :)

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I made 40hp less with my new engine builder and run 2 tenths faster...something doesnt add up ;)
Ouch, thats gonna leave a mark!

I tried to contact Nyes before buying my short from L&L. Three emails, no response. I have always been wary of companies that dont bother to respond to genuine inquiries, so I crossed them off the list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts