Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the problem of no sfi cert for cars over 3200 lbs and faster than 7.50, so I had an idea. What if the 25.2 cert actually included a weight/et rating like this

3200 - 6.00 or slower
3600 - 6.50 or slower
4000 - 7.50 or slower

It seems to me that would work well and bridge the gaps for cars that are falling thru the certification cracks. What do you all think?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck.

Why in the world would you want to put a 25.2 in a 4000lbs car anyways?

Why NOT?? :p

I think is not any different than putting brakes on the front a drag car that wouldn't stop it in less than 1/2 mile from speed.

You tell me why a 4000 lb car with 6 piston brakes on the front, quad piston brakes on the rear, proper areodynamics, and a 25.2 is more unsafe running 7.90s at 180 when compared to a 3400 lb drag radial car running 7.30s with a 25.5 and marginal brakes.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did some quick calculations on kinetic energy of different racecars, and it was pretty enlightening.

A 3200 lb car that traps 220mph has MORE kinetic energy than a 4500 lb car that traps 185.

I dont understand how 3200 at 220 is so widely accepted, but when a slower car weighs more, it is frowned upon.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Wasn't Steve Morris's wagon leaning heavilly on the 4000lb , no pun intended... caused a few to go crying to Milan staff ... yet that wagon was fuuuuuuuuuuuun to watch and did not seem unsafe at all . All this outlaw weight/certs/ cube-pound debates end with cubic dollars or sponsors cubic dollars and finish with crying ... and BG does not have anything but stock sheetmetal firewall forward ... who knows anymore who's right ...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last season Morris has his wagon running 8.teens in the high 70s at 4500 lbs untill everyone cried foul. He had the chassis reworked to meet 25.5 limits of 3600, and I hear he just clicked of a 7.7 this weekend. I saw video of that car at 4500, and it looked to run as straight and true as most others that run in that time window. If they are trying to keep kinetic energy at a set point, then a chassis needs to be rated in MPH not in ET.

In fact... they should just have a cert/mph chart that shows allowable MPHs for each weight.

·
Senior Frog
10,443 Posts
I think if the racing is 8th mile is doesn't matter what tubes are in the car......

1/4 mile racing is slowly dieing,I say kill it completely...

And why do crybabies cry foul as mentioned above,some racers need to take off the skirt
and stop worrying what sticker is on someones car...

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I think if the racing is 8th mile is doesn't matter what tubes are in the car......

1/4 mile racing is slowly dieing,I say kill it completely...

And why do crybabies cry foul as mentioned above,some racers need to take off the skirt

Don't say that!!!! then the turbo Outlaw guys will be mad they can only beat the nitrous cars by two or three tenths!

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,686 Posts
Exactly! If I can't afford a Cage and Want to Chance Running a 1/4 Mile Shot at or Over 118 or Faster than 11.50 than So Be it ! Let Me Run By Myself with no other car in the Other lane. I'll take My Chances, Hell I had my old Trans Am on I-75 over 160 MPH and At 140+mph in Town Racing Of Course with no safety equipment other than what comes with it from the Factory.:butthead:

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
What ever happened to all the talk about lowering the ET rating for the current 25.5 certified chassis? I've been hearing that was going to happen for the last two years, but I haven't seen any actual changes in the NHRA rule book.

As for the two ton cars, no big deal as far as I'm concerned, as long as I'm not in the other lane in a car that's a thousand pounds lighter. I know I personally wouldn't want to be going very fast in two ton car, but that's just me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.