Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to set up the above combo in my Buick. The PG trans is from PTC and has what appears to be a universal shift arm with multiple holes and letter correlating to what i believe are shifter brands. The TA shifter was previously set up for a TH400.

I have bolted the cable bracket to the trans and placed the cable in what I believe is the correct hole. I have found that the cable end goes way out of angle. If I get 1-2 correctly adjusted everything else is out of whack and vise versa.

Should I replace the shifter arm with the Turbo action shifter arm? Or are these universal arms ok?

·
Super Moderator
19,972 Posts
Some universal arms will work but I think you should be using the lowest hole, the problem is not all of them have that hole. I don't have one to measure , but if you call Turbo Action , Im sure they will tell you the fulcrum point of their shifter arms.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Im trying to set up the above combo in my Buick. The PG trans is from PTC and has what appears to be a universal shift arm with multiple holes and letter correlating to what i believe are shifter brands. The TA shifter was previously set up for a TH400.

I have bolted the cable bracket to the trans and placed the cable in what I believe is the correct hole. I have found that the cable end goes way out of angle. If I get 1-2 correctly adjusted everything else is out of whack and vise versa.

Should I replace the shifter arm with the Turbo action shifter arm? Or are these universal arms ok?
We have just made a switch to PG from 727..........from what we gathered, YES, you need to replace shifter arm unless specifically made for PG.....we dropped pan and swapped in TA arm...the TA arm is longer and from what I see and take from it, it aligns with the plate you are talking about.......the PG would use the middle holes if we are talking about same plate..........

We have all instructions, If you need anything let me know, we are doing this as we speak.........we also are utilizing a PTC PG....we made the swap last night and will be putting a driveshaft on tomorrow......

IMO.......I would get with TA and get all the parts you need.......we paid about $125 for the conversion parts.....actually much cheaper than Jegs/Summit......just FYI.....order it direct

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I see the plate you are talking about was the PG plate from PTC??

I would not use that, TA states in their instructions that other brands will not work UNLESS specifically made for the TA shifter??

It definately lines up much better and is actually really easy and worked out nice.

IF you need part #'s let me know.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
We have just made a switch to PG from 727..........from what we gathered, YES, you need to replace shifter arm unless specifically made for TA.....we dropped pan and swapped in TA arm...the TA arm is longer and from what I see and take from it, it aligns with the plate you are talking about.......the PG would use the middle holes if we are talking about same plate..........

We have all instructions, If you need anything let me know, we are doing this as we speak.........we also are utilizing a PTC PG....we made the swap last night and will be putting a driveshaft on tomorrow......

IMO.......I would get with TA and get all the parts you need.......we paid about $125 for the conversion parts.....actually much cheaper than Jegs/Summit......just FYI.....order it direct
"We have just made a switch to PG from 727..........from what we gathered, YES, you need to replace shifter arm unless specifically made for TA (not PG, sorry)"

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I used a universal shift lever on my glide and TA shifter. It has 3 holes marked T, B and H. Put the cable in the T hole and that should be gold. You may need to adjust something on the shifter itself since you went from TH400 to glide though. I'm using the same lever for my new hurst shifter and it still works fine.

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.