Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help setting toe on my chassis car. I know what to do, but when you try to check measurement at the back of the tires everything is in the way. Frt's ok ,Dam, Can you measure very low on the tire and be actuate? Tried it and it doesnt really seem good. Shows I've got like 3/4 " toe in. Any ideas..Thanks ...DR.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Light straight bar taped/clamped against outside of tire sidewalls at center of spindle and plumb bobs front and back to ground.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Plumb bob with a string down the tire tread in front and in back. Mark the floor. Measure between the two front and back. Done!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Toe plates is what I use with 2 tape measures. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toe-Plates-Most-Accurate-DIY-Wheel-Alignment-Tool-Gauge/323311825512?hash=item4b46e2f268:g:LO0AAOSwrmdTqJO6Or 2 jack stands and a long string. Place the jack stands in front of the car. Run the string from 1 jack stand around the back of the slicks and back to the other jack stand. Move the jack stand so the string just touches the frt. of the slick on each side. Then measure from the string to the sidewall of the frt. tire.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much.. Ive got a small tram (tool like 440 roadrunner showed) will use that..didnt think of that.. old guy moment .Thanks to all Great ideas!!!! DR.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
18,067 Posts
I use toe plates , puts the tape measure close to the ground.
Not sure what those are, but would like to see a picture if possible?

I use a tram gauge as someone else mentioned, but I also set the toe on my drag junkers with the chassis jacked up maybe 2", since that is roughly where my stuff rides under power. Don't know if that is right or wrong, but my cars go smooth and straight.....most of the time.:-D

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I do a 4 wheel alignment. Pull a string line off of the rear tires and check the toe off of the string line. Its good way to make sure everything is square and in line.

·
Registered
63,747 Posts
Be sure to raise the front end at least an inch to inch and a half before taking any measurements.

Another need on a drag car .... get as much caster as you can.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I made a set of these after seeing them recommended here. They work very nice! I actually used them to swing the entire travel and record bump changes to ensure the wheels never toe’d out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts