Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Somebody with more recent experience than me will probably chime in, but I'll off my .02. The "base" salary is probably all over the place. Most places will be a salary/hourly plus commission type of deal. If you can get on with a good dealer, you can make some pretty decent money. Getting on with a good dealer is the hard part as there are fewer of them every day. What usually happens is you get set up on a pay plan, hustle and write a lot of work and develop a customer following, you start making a good lick and next thing you know they want to "change" your pay plan. They only want you to make X per year no matter how much you make for them. Writing service or dispatching used to be a pretty good job. Good money and weekends off. No more as far as I'm concerned. I don't miss what they've turned it into.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
A good friend of mine was making around $45k a year before the down turn at a decent size dealer. What sucked was that she had to work 7am-6pm m-f and 7-4 on Saturday. The hours sucked and they had too many writers so no one made real good money.

·
Registered
993 Posts
watch out for the pay plans as they get you on one when you learn how to sell, then when a new year comes so does a new plan. the plan you are currently on will no longer exist. they chip and chip every year, i wrote for a ford dealer in s e mn and the other writers would show old pay stubs, to show how good it used to be. Get ready for visits to the service managers office when you don't put the screws to someone that you could have. Working there changed my views of the industry, it will be very hard for me to look at a service (or parts) dept. in a good light again.
But if you like to sit on your ass, screw people, and talk on the phone. you will love it.

here are some thought from the bullet archives, about being a writer
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140225&highlight=mwuertz

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
every dealership i have ever worked at the service writers jobs are very short lived

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys i was having some warranty work done at a dealer today and may have stumbled on a chance to do it. i worked at the mercedes suv plant before and got caught in the layoff havent been around dealerships since 03.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts