Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a bit of wet ground at the end of my drainfield when I was mowing this weekend....did a little research on line and found many companies thst sell bacterial additives that are supposed to remedy the cause of septic probs..anybody ever use these and did they work? $10,000 for a new drainfield is gonna hurt....I looked at septicleanse and biosafe but just don't know if this the right answer.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,398 Posts
Sounds like a pain in the ass :)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
You have to use the stuff all the time with septic systems.
Some have a bacteria that eats the solids,
but if you use bleach with laundry, it kills the bacteria.
Also need to have the tank drained every few years,
we just had our tank drained a couple months ago.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
They make a box with an air pump that pushes air in the tank like a fish tank has the little air bubbles. I dont know the name but its about 1800 bucks i put one on a rental house and never had another problem. Sometimes like in my case the drainfield cant work because oils and lotions cause a waxy buildup called biomat to form then the water cant drain thru into the ground. This company said it would increase the aggitation and reverse this. It seemed to work and they offer a money back warranty deal so i tried it. google it but ya gotta find out why its not working before you can fix it.

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,821 Posts
They make a box with an air pump that pushes air in the tank like a fish tank has the little air bubbles. I dont know the name but its about 1800 bucks i put one on a rental house and never had another problem. Sometimes like in my case the drainfield cant work because oils and lotions cause a waxy buildup called biomat to form then the water cant drain thru into the ground. This company said it would increase the aggitation and reverse this. It seemed to work and they offer a money back warranty deal so i tried it. google it but ya gotta find out why its not working before you can fix it.
Interesting, very interesting.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Spend the money and have it fixed.I spent a few k on something Called Tera lift injection,basically they shoot permeable balls in the ground to help the same problem u had. worked great for a year total waste of money. For about 5 k I had it fixed right. Get a few estimates they vary a lot.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Too late!

Your leach fields are saturated.

Products like Rid-X only work if you use 'em from the get go.

Just built a complete system 2 years ago on the cheap.

Bought a machine, did all the work myself, will sell the machine with enough profit to pay for the whole system

Hopefully an expert will get on here and give you a better outlook than I have...good luck with it,,,TLW

·
Registered
657 Posts
Had a Roto Rooter guy a few years ago tell me to get a walking head attachment for my pressure washer line and put it down the lines from my distribution box to wash the legs. He said over time sediment gets in the drain holes and needs to be dislodged to allow drainage. Sounds like kind of a shitty job though.:p

·
Monty's Limo Driver
8,387 Posts
Noticed a bit of wet ground at the end of my drainfield when I was mowing this weekend....did a little research on line and found many companies thst sell bacterial additives that are supposed to remedy the cause of septic probs..anybody ever use these and did they work? $10,000 for a new drainfield is gonna hurt....I looked at septicleanse and biosafe but just don't know if this the right answer.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
You may need a new field. I would have the tank pumped and put copper sulfate in the tank. The copper sulfate will get rid of roots in the field but it sounds like your field is definately saturated.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
I had this problem a couple years ago. I actually have a spare bathroom in the shop bedroom. The chain came off the arm, and got stuck under the flap. It had ran for a month like that. Water bill was high as hell and found the water the same way, cutting grass. Fixed the toilet, shut off water to shop, and don't have to worry about it. Problem went away on it's own. If it is stopped up, then the RidX you buy at Walmart is only good as a preventive measure, not a fix like Drain-O.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I had this problem a couple years ago. I actually have a spare bathroom in the shop bedroom. The chain came off the arm, and got stuck under the flap. It had ran for a month like that. Water bill was high as hell and found the water the same way, cutting grass. Fixed the toilet, shut off water to shop, and don't have to worry about it. Problem went away on it's own. If it is stopped up, then the RidX you buy at Walmart is only good as a preventive measure, not a fix like Drain-O.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wet area is direct sign of field line failure. Your chambers have separated or crushed. Could have came apart at the joints and or from the connection to the tank. Most health departments allow this fix as a repair. There's no need in a complete field replacement.
Rid x type products are known in septic community as a joke. The idea is to have bacteria eat the sludge in the tank and the lines distribute effluent to the ground. Antibacterial soaps are detrimental to systems.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Your drainfield is saturated like the rest have said, is it just in one spot or the whole drainfield? You could possibly have a line or 2 stopped up forcing the other lines to take more than they should? And on a side note: you can use cooking yeast to promote bacteria growth in tank. Just flush a pack down toilet once a month, it's a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Your drainfield is saturated like the rest have said, is it just in one spot or the whole drainfield? You could possibly have a line or 2 stopped up forcing the other lines to take more than they should? And on a side note: you can use cooking yeast to promote bacteria growth in tank. Just flush a pack down toilet once a month, it's a lot cheaper.
This sounds great, if it works...I know the price on both and yeast is definitely cheaper. But does it work? And is 1 pack enough, considering how much Rid-X you are supposed to use?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts