Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I.m selling a car to a guy half way across the country...

I've never sold out of state.

I'm thinking:
*Do a bank transfer of funds
*Once the funds are available in my account, send him the title certified mail
*Then just wait for him to setup the transport

Is this a 'safe' way to handle this? Am I missing anything?

I appreciate any and all advice...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Hose,

I sold cars wire transfer many times, once funds clear your bank account mail them the title. I help shipper pull the car or truck out of my shop and let them load it. Never have had an issue

Steve

·
Registered
37,534 Posts
An alternative is bank draft, if the buyer is nervous about wiring funds and then not getting a title. The only drawback is the seller has to wait a few days for the draft to fund his or her account; it's not instantaneous like wire transfer. If the funds are no good the buyer's bank won't release the title. And if the title is no good the buyer's bank won't release the funds. In the meantime the car sits in the seller's garage until the transaction is complete - then the shipping process can begin.

Protection for everyone.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Cash unless you know the buyer.
Depending on the size of the transaction no body is going to be toting around tens of thousands of dollars to make a purchase. I have always used either certified bank checks or a wire transfer. Plus it is difficult to get your hands on large amounts of cash from the banks unless you give them plenty of notice to have the cash on hand. I tried to get 15 K one time for purchase and had to go to 3 different branch offices to get that much cash from my accounts. I personally wont buy something sight unseen. I get the money set up in an account and fly to where the item is located and make the purchase if the deal is as expected. That way there is no surprises.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts