Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add some leaf guards to my gutters at the house. I live in the boonies, so I really don't want to bother with some contractor, from 50 miles away. Does Lowes or Home Depot sell anything that I can install and actually works? I have a metal roof (r-panel), if it matters.

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Everyone I have ever talked to about those leaf guard things have told me that they are a joke and its not worth it. I just use the old leaf blower twice a year.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I have Gutter Helmet and it was installed by a company. Works great! Huge maple trees and I haven't cleaned a gutter since.

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
I've got some similar these on my house. Work fine. I have a two story, so cleaning clogged gutters is not a job that I like doing. They were cheap, and not too difficult to install. I have 3 pine trees, and 8 50+foot tall silver maples around the house. I get train-loads of helicopters in the spring, and tons of leaves and pine needles in the fall. I occasionally have to broom some stuff that gets stuck on top of the guards and that's about it.

http://www.guttersupply.com/p-Diamond-PVC-with-Mesh-Gutter-Screen.gstml

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Wow, that a huge bitch! Sorry.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't make me start a poll!

·
rodent aviator
6,999 Posts
I have Gutter Helmet and it was installed by a company. Works great! Huge maple trees and I haven't cleaned a gutter since.
The Gutter Helmet is a fucking joke. If you're stupid enough to buy this and pay somebody to install it then I don't know what to say. Why bother having gutters if you're going to put an almost solid cover over the top of them? Leaves stay out but so does the water. Just remove the fucking gutters if you're dumb enough to consider buying this crap.

No, I have never bought anything like this. But I do tree work and work over people's roofs all the time. Stupid middle class office workers buy this crap, not people who actually build or fix shit for a living.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The solid gutter guards are not effective especially when the roof angles are steep. The water runs off the front edge.
The other misconception is that there is zero maint required....false. The debris and algae etc still gets into the gutter and they do need to be flushed.

I had a gutter company and the only ones I would sell and install were louvered or like the brown one above.

I did not want the call back from the client no matter how much I made.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
IMO its easier to just clean them every once in a while. Stuff just gets tangles in the guards and you have to clean them which is harder than the gutters.

·
pist'n Broke
20,941 Posts
get rid of the gutters....:rolleyes: i used to install a product like this.... great for pine needles, but leaves still might sit on top....better than most others but pricey...

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Dont the screens just plug up and then you dont have a gutter anymore it just plugs it up ?? No really i need a solution to .

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
looking into rainwater collection and I'm interested in something that works also

1 - 20 of 49 Posts