Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at ZTRs and traditional riding mowers. I have a 1 acre lot. Flat with minimal obstacles. Several folks are saying I'm wasting money for a ZTR when a traditional style rider will do. I've looked at them but can't seem to find a proper stripe kit. I want my lawn to look great. I reckon I'll fabricate my own stripe kit. Have any of you ever made your own? Would you care to provide pictures and/or tips? I appreciate it!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,293 Posts
NEVER HEARD OF A STRIPE KIT....I JUST THOUGHT GOING THE OPPOSITE WAY CREATED THE VISUAL STRIPE...LOL...I HAVE A
KUBOTA AND THEY'RE GREAT MOWERS

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Biggest issue is the type of grass you grass. Don't know where you live but I think "stripers" only work on Some types of grass. I know they won't work on St. Augustine.

I watched a few vids on Youtube. Easy to make and use.

I mow 1 acre with a Commercial ZTR,,NEVER go back to a lawn tractor!!

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
To make the stripes in a yard just go one direction then mow going in the opposite direction and go back and forth. Some grasses wont show the "stripe". Nothing other than that. The reason golf courses look so good is they use a reel mower vs the spinning blade. I used to work on a golf course and theres nothing better than the cut of a sharp reel mower

·
Wart Remover
2,729 Posts
NEVER HEARD OF A STRIPE KIT....I JUST THOUGHT GOING THE OPPOSITE WAY CREATED THE VISUAL STRIPE...LOL...I HAVE A
KUBOTA AND THEY'RE GREAT MOWERS
Just got my baby Kubota last week. Fucking excellent mower!

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
I have them on our mowers, because I run Simplicity. Google search Simplicity and look at the pics, parts numbers, etc..

I have repaired a few over the years, not a complex device at all.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A stripe kit is basically a large flap of mining belt or maybe a piece of PVC pipe full of sand or gravel and it swipes along behind the mower to create the stripes similar to those corn field designs people sometimes do. It lays the grass in one direction and then when you come back the opposite direction it creates that fancy look. My push mower has a flap from the factory attached to the back of the body. It does great but a 22 inch cut takes a long time to push mow an acre.

I was hoping someone here would have made their own stripe apparatus for me to get advice from. LoL

·
Wart Remover
2,729 Posts
Just go buy some real thick rubber floor mat, at HD or Lowe's. Get a section as wide as your mower, 1/2-1" thick. Take some of that angle iron w/holes (not sure the name, about $10 at HD) and bolt the mat to it. Hang it off the back of the mower, you may need to stabilize the side. <$30.

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
Simplicity uses a shaft with rollers attached. You can pick up rollers of different types off ebay, other places. I've seen guys take a stick of threaded rod and slide pipe over the top of it and use nuts/washers to create the spacing they want. I've seen them made with just a hunk of rod and hose clamps spacing the rollers where they wanted them.

It's easy, and it does look nice on your grass. MLB stadiums use them to create the grass stripes you see in the outfield during a ball game.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just use a hard piece of rubber bolted to the back of your deck almost touching the ground.
Yes, any grass will stripe with this method...... even weeds! Lol

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I do commercial mowing and my Ferris IS3200's used to come from the factory with a stripe kit installed. It was just a rubber flap. I take them off because the rubber flap will fling debris (sticks, gumballs, etc.) on to the top of the deck and sometimes a stick or gumball would get stuck between the deck belt and pulley. This would ruin a deck belt in a short time. Deck belts are $100 a piece so the flaps got removed and now no more issues. I can't really tell the difference with the flap or without.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
To make the stripes in a yard just go one direction then mow going in the opposite direction and go back and forth. Some grasses wont show the "stripe". Nothing other than that. The reason golf courses look so good is they use a reel mower vs the spinning blade. I used to work on a golf course and theres nothing better than the cut of a sharp reel mower
The stripes are from the rollers that are I. Front and rear of the reels. that is what causes the stripes. It's laying the grass down. When you look at a stripe. The light colored ones are facing away from you. (Your seeing the flat blade of the grassThe dark ones are facing toward you....(your seeing the fresh cut end of the blade of grass)

Reel units are hands down the best cut possible. No matter what you will never ever have a yard cut as nice as with a reel unit......
Go to golf course and see about buying a nice used T mower .....hands down better then any zero turn

1 - 20 of 53 Posts