Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just built a self-contained oil system for a mid-mounted turbo. This is a first for me and need advice.

It is a PT90 turbo that drains into a 4+ quart reservoir. The reservoir feeds a -8 inline filter into a EXA (Carter, Turbowerx) pump that feeds the pressurized oil to the turbo through a -6 line. On first test of the pump the pressure went to 80 psi immediately. Checked the lines to make sure they were clear and tested again with the same results. Engine was not running.

Questions are: Is this too much pressure for the turbo? (I've read 40psi is about right) Will this pressure damage the EXA pump? Would a bypass return line with a restrictor in it be an effective way to lower the pressure?

Any advice?

Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure if it would destroy the pump but if you changed the lines to be -10 feed to pump then -6 an feed to turbo. I am thinking the pressure would drop because of the added capacity of flow of oil out of the turbo to the reservoir. :confused: But may be able to go to a -4an feed to turbo to slow the spray of oil to turbo and ecsape it faster out of turbo with the -10an to get it back to the reservoir. :rolleyes: You are on to something it see and subscribing to thread!!!! Would like to see some pics!!!!!! :smt115

·
Registered
97 Posts
And oil thickness will play a part in the pressure also! Oil pressure with 10/30 regular oil is normally 55 - 60 motor warm and with 20/50 race oil its 70 - 75 motor warm on a race motor we have. Just a thought!!!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My descriptive skills suck. The drain from the turbo to the reservoir is a 1" vertical drain about 3" long, then a -8 from the reservoir to the pump. Will attach pics, hopefully LOL.

The pump is on the left and you are looking at the pressure line going up to the turbo. The copper tube is temporary to check the pressure. Still a work in progress.

Here is from the rear. You can see the feed from the reservoir to the pump on the right.

Its home brew fabricobble at its finest.

I think putting a "T" in the -6 line with a feed back to the reservoir with a restrictor in the line should drop the pressure. Just drill the restrictor to lower the pressure to the 30-50psi range.

The oil is 10W-30 synthetic now. Any input on oil viscosity that would be best?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
sean, on my oiling system, i installed a bypass "T" from the pump and fabbed a holley jet in the AN fitting so you can regulate oil pressure. My pressure and bypass lines are -6 with a .070ish holley jet installed and my pressure stays around 35 pounds. You may have to play with jet size to get the desired pressure. It works great, best of luck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a Carter pump feeding twins. -12 drains, 4 qt sump, -10 from sump to pump, -6 from pump to -4 T, plus a bypass in line before the T. I used a .102 nitrous jet in the bypass and had 38-42 lbs of pressure. 5w30 oil and a heater is a must to get a little heat into the oil in the morning. This system worked great in a trunk mount setup. I had my starter switch thru a relay so it wouldn`t crank unless the oil pump was on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input.

Sounds like a lighter weight oil might be better. What do you guys think of the 0W-XX oils

I'll gather up the stuff to make a bypass, just in case. Will test it, as is, to start, and see if it smokes.

Called Carter and Precision and both said the pressure at 70-80psi would not be a problem. We'll see.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it started. Only has about 10 minutes of run time. Doesn't seem to smoke so far. The pressure stays around 50psi while running without a bypass.

click on pic for vid

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
sounds killer!!! badazz ride!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not as cool as your truck. Met you at Muncie during dragweek. How did you handle the oil return on it?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
met alot of good people on dragweek... all nice guys and gals, real hotrodders!! cant wait for this years!!! as for my oil return, i supply the turbos from the engine oil, with -4 line, it drains in a sump, about 2quarts, with a vent on it, and breather. then my electric oil pump, pumps it back to the front, into the oil pan. been working flawlessly. i like the idea of the self contained system!! that way you dont cross contaminate either of the 2....if the turbo goes to hell, you dont get trash in the engine, and vice versa.. still that caddy sounds badazz!!!:-damnit:-D

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thats similair to how I did my self contained setup, built a bypass setup, but have been running it dead headed at 80 psi. No smoking issue that I have noticed. Journal bearing setup

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far so good. Have put about 20 miles on it. The oil must be getting warm. The pressure drops to 30-35 after driving a short while and there is oil misting from the vent. Need to get a temp gun to check it.

Yeah it has different color wheels on it. They were cheap and will get painted. Fender skirts are off too. Changing the rear gear and adding drive studs now.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Oil misting is normal for me.... i run the vent through a catch can so it doesn't leak everywhere.... The pump will overheat if you do not run a bypass. I tried it and the exa pump got hot, but with a bypass, it is just slightly warm. Best of luck

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
maybe plumb it thru a trans cooler?? should keep it reasonably cool...:cool:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
What size is your bypass, and what is you pressure?

Thanks
i ran -6 out of the exa pressure pump (and -6 on the bypass line) and the bypass orfice is a 70 holley jet. That gives me about 35 pounds of pressure. I run ceramic ball bearing turbo's though.. if you run journal bearings, i would recommend more pressure.....so put a smaller orfice in the bypass if you want to increase pressure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts