Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're preparing for the sale of my late Father's 1962 Impala. It's a 409 4-speed car, dual 4-barrels, etc., but I don't know a lot about these things, much less what to look for when preparing to sell something like this. I'm almost positive that the original engine kicked a rod, but I remember Dad talking about the engine that's currently in it was the "correct one" for the time period......whatever that might mean.

Bottom line, I'm hoping to get hooked up with someone that knows their shit about this stuff so that they could guide me through this process. I would prefer someone that knows what's going on, but would have no interest in the car if possible. Someone that knows what numbers I need to have and where to find those numbers on the car..........stuff like that.

Anyone out there able to help me?

Thx,

Sean D

·
Beer Pong Champ (Retired)
6,830 Posts
Post some pics. And also some pics of wife or girlfriends tits also.

Thanks in advance,

Yellowbullet

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
We're preparing for the sale of my late Father's 1962 Impala. It's a 409 4-speed car, dual 4-barrels, etc., but I don't know a lot about these things, much less what to look for when preparing to sell something like this. I'm almost positive that the original engine kicked a rod, but I remember Dad talking about the engine that's currently in it was the "correct one" for the time period......whatever that might mean.

Bottom line, I'm hoping to get hooked up with someone that knows their shit about this stuff so that they could guide me through this process. I would prefer someone that knows what's going on, but would have no interest in the car if possible. Someone that knows what numbers I need to have and where to find those numbers on the car..........stuff like that.

Anyone out there able to help me?

Thx,

Sean D
I would be interested in the car ( as is ) I had one of these in 1963 and loved it.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a very nice piece. Yeah, I'm biased obviously, but I'm tellin' ya', short of being rotisserie, this thing is a sweet car.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how to do all of that. In the meantime, I'll check out some of these sources you guys provided. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Sean D

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Remember- a car is original only once in it's life. In some cases- a nut & bolt rotisserie build could actually hurt the value.
On these cars- it's all about documentation. If it's a real 409 car & the engine is correct date code- it's worth plenty! I'd get an appraisal.

·
Board certified
19,644 Posts
Sure is rare if it has the original engine........Chev. sure replaced a lot of those engines under warranty.....lol....... Back in the day my friends brother had a brand new 63 Impala with the 409/425......after the third engine in 1 1/2 years Chev talked him into replacing it with a 327/365 which was actually faster than the 409 and never blew up..............

A good appraiser that knows his stuff will be a big help...sitting on a small gold mine.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Have a friend that has a very nice '62 409 dual quad, 4 speed Impala restored and red on red. He paid $50k for it at Mecum about 2 years ago. They can bring pretty big money.... as said you need to seek out a competent appraiser or 2 like others have said.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It wont be a bubbletop unless its a bel air. only 61 was impala bubble. in 62 bel air was bubble super rare car only 8000 I believe.
I would go to the 348 409 website, Chevy talk is a bunch of morons who think they know everything, I have seen so much bad info there its sickening,
try here for accurate information. http://www.348-409.com/forum/
If they cant help, no one can!!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Just looked at a 62 409/409 4 speed car at the local car show. asking 23,000 or b.o. If I had the money/room I'd have a new toy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as already stated I would talk to a professional appraiser. Find out what the car is worth and go from there. What kind of condition is the car in?
The plan is to get the car out over the weekend and get some pictures. If I can figure out how to post them on here, I will.

As I've said before, I'm sure I'm biased. But no shit, this thing is a VERY nice piece. Car is powder blue with a matching convertible top, 4-speed, 2 4-barrels, dual exhaust. Come to think of it, I believe it has air. I'm thinking it's an SS car, but am not completely sure. The car has been in the family for quite a few years, but it's just not my thing so I don't know much about the details. I can appreciate it, but like I said, just not my thing.

He also had a red bubble top that he sold back in 2005-2006. That car I know wasn't all original and it still brought north of $50-grand.

From what I can tell in a book that I recently looked at, if this car was a rotisserie, which it's not, and was in awesome shape, which it is, it would be worth nearly $80,000. Don't know if you can trust those things, but it's what I'm getting started with. I will be contacting some of the folks all of you have suggested and just get rolling. It will be interesting to see how it pans out, that's for sure.

Sean D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Call the Volo auto museum in Volo, IL. They can appraise and also sell on consignment. Lots of big dollar sales because they finance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts