Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a good cheap security camera system . i know good and cheap dont go hand in hand , but something is better than nothing right ? anyways . im looking for like a 10 camera system . i see units on ebay with like 16 cameras from china . any thoughts on them ? the feedback from sellers look good .

anyone deal with this stuff ? any pointers ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Spend the money on Good Cameras. The Off brand DVR's seem to be ok but playback with cheep cameras don't give you shit. & if you want to try and read a tag number you will have to really spend allot on a camera unless you get them to back rite up to it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Someone was rummaging thru my desk on the weekends (lock was broke), so I bought one of the cheap motion-activated disguise-o-cams off ebay for like $65. I got great shots of me setting it up, but never any of the perp, although it did activate at times.

Now we are setting up a system in the shop (12 or 13 cameras) due to an ongoing "shrinkage" problem with various items, and we are using Linksys WVC80N cameras. They can be wireless or wired, and you can access them from anywhere thru the internet. They are a little over $100 each, though, but setup easy and work pretty seamlessly. Too new to report on the long-term results, but v little problems so far.

BTW, the person(s) getting in my desk was my office roomate's little kids, he would bring them in on the weekends occasionally!

Mark

·
Medium Pimpin'
2,800 Posts
Cut corners on the quality of camera and your wasting your time. I have never met anyone that can say a cheap camera did the job. If your cutting corners just save the cash to replace whatever is stolen.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok , out with the cheap stuff then . ...... the linksys stuff can they be all hooked together ? where did you buy them from ? i have been using linksys routers and modems for a long time and always liked there products so maybe ill go that route

what about the DVR any good ones ?

the cheap chinese systems are like 900 bucks for a 16 camera system . but if its only another 1000.00 then the better cameras are what ill get .

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
ok , out with the cheap stuff then . ...... the linksys stuff can they be all hooked together ? where did you buy them from ? i have been using linksys routers and modems for a long time and always liked there products so maybe ill go that route

what about the DVR any good ones ?

the cheap chinese systems are like 900 bucks for a 16 camera system . but if its only another 1000.00 then the better cameras are what ill get .
The Cisco small business and Linksys ones are the same units.. I use one in our PET imaging lab to monitor patients while they are getting their imaging done. It even has built in two way sound, so we can talk back and forth with the patient.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
securitycamerasdirect.com. I have used a couple things from them and was pleases with the picture quality and ease of install. Im sure they sell direct and not only businesses. It doesnt cost alot more to be able to watch on your Iphone a android phone through these systems. Need high speed internet wherever system is installed for phone viewing.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Take a look at the Q-See systems, Tiger Direct is one place that handles them, you can get several different systems with different amounts of cameras. I have 8 16 camera systems running and recording 24-7. And they have been rock solid and the price is reasonable. I have all systms networked and can sit in my office and view any system no matter where I'm at.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
We started doing securiity systems this year. We do alot of housing development entry ways etc. We also have some in local garages that allow them off site viewing. One customer has a house in Florida and can watch at anytime what is going on up here. Our systems will also send you a email if you want it to as well as you can download to a thumbdrive or dvd. Night vision and just about anything you need it to do all in one system.
Just let me know and I will send you a quote.

·
Registered
17,421 Posts
Take a look at the Q-See systems, Tiger Direct is one place that handles them, you can get several different systems with different amounts of cameras.
That's good news. I bought an 8 camera capable Q-see system with 4 cameras on sale from Costco for $299, don't have it up yet. I intend to buy 4 better cameras to complete it, what do I look for in specs? Is number of TV lines the most important?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
We do some pretty high profile Video Surveillance systems. We do a lot of mega pixel stuff. We have one customer that's on their 2nd petabyte of storage. Yes sports fans that's 1000 terabytes. Here's the downside of cheap cameras. Hopefully you will see the crime but you won't be able to see who committed the crime. Almost worse than not knowing at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts