Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mental reminder that no one has ever won a gunfight while speed reholstering! I can only suspect that is likely what happened here.

Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_AGENT_SHOOTS_SELF_?SITE=KVUE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Feb 5, 2011

VENTURA, Calif. — A Secret Service agent assigned to protect Nancy Reagan is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the hip at a sheriff's department shooting range.

Ventura County sheriff's spokesman Capt. Mike Aranda says the gun went off as the agent was putting it back in its holster Friday at the range in Camarillo. The agent was hospitalized with a non-life-threatening injury to his hip. His name was not released.

Nobody else was injured.

The Ventura County Star reports the agent was assigned to the Reagan Protective Division of the Secret Service, which handles security for the former first lady.

Aranda says the Secret Service is handling the investigation of the incident.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
This is what happens when you use a holster with a strap on it. I know of two local officers that shot themsleves the same way. They don't use those type holsters anymore because of that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not clicking on the safety (if pistol had one (non-Glock style) would be a major factor. I've got a friend that shot himself twice (same incident) pulling from a concealed holster during the winter, clothing caught trigger when he pulled from holster, and refired upon holstering after the first shot. He didn't move the pistol more than 4" throughout the incident to get 2 rounds off into his leg. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I checked the article, and I didn't see where they said it was caused by a strap. I have years of experience of shooting with and with out holsters with straps, locks, and all different retension levels. It is seldom the cause of a accidental shooting. The most common problem is someone forgeting to take there finger out of the trigger guard prior to jamming the gun in a holster. JMO

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Not clicking on the safety (if pistol had one (non-Glock style) would be a major factor. I've got a friend that shot himself twice (same incident) pulling from a concealed holster during the winter, clothing caught trigger when he pulled from holster, and refired upon holstering after the first shot. He didn't move the pistol more than 4" throughout the incident to get 2 rounds off into his leg. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper!
Explain how clothing can pull the trigger while pulling the pistol out of a holster. Was he wearing it with the barrel pointing up or something?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I checked the article, and I didn't see where they said it was caused by a strap. I have years of experience of shooting with and with out holsters with straps, locks, and all different retension levels. It is seldom the cause of a accidental shooting. The most common problem is someone forgeting to take there finger out of the trigger guard prior to jamming the gun in a holster. JMO
I've never read into what the most common cause of these type accidents is but if somebody is stupid enough to feel the holster touching their trigger finger, that is still inside the trigger guard, and keep on pushing on the gun while pushing on their trigger finger until it fires, they should never touch another gun again. I doubt this is a common occurance. While it would be hard enough for clothes to catch on the trigger and pull it being pretty much all guns have trigger guards, I can see where that could happen if someone weren't paying attention while reholstering. I'm betting the #1 cause of this type accident is not paying attention while reholstering using a, most likely, leather holster with a strap like our local PD used to use. The strap is attached to the outside of the holster and folds over the gun to snap to a thumb tab on the inside of the holster. Somebody not paying attention fumbles around trying to get the gun back into the holster gives the strap a chance to go inside the trigger guard and bang when they push the gun into the holster. This very thing happened three times with two different officers at our local PD thus the reason they don't issue those type holsters anymore. JMO

·
102,312 Posts
What he said

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
What he said
I didn't see anywhere that it said exactly how this accident happened but I'm still putting my money on it happened the way I said with the strap getting inside the trigger guard.

·
102,312 Posts
I've never read into what the most common cause of these type accidents is but if somebody is stupid enough to feel the holster touching their trigger finger, that is still inside the trigger guard, and keep on pushing on the gun while pushing on their trigger finger until it fires, they should never touch another gun again. I doubt this is a common occurance. While it would be hard enough for clothes to catch on the trigger and pull it being pretty much all guns have trigger guards, I can see where that could happen if someone weren't paying attention while reholstering. I'm betting the #1 cause of this type accident is not paying attention while reholstering using a, most likely, leather holster with a strap like our local PD used to use. The strap is attached to the outside of the holster and folds over the gun to snap to a thumb tab on the inside of the holster. Somebody not paying attention fumbles around trying to get the gun back into the holster gives the strap a chance to go inside the trigger guard and bang when they push the gun into the holster. This very thing happened three times with two different officers at our local PD thus the reason they don't issue those type holsters anymore. JMO
We use this type of holster all the time. It's user error plain and simple

·
102,312 Posts
I didn't see anywhere that it said exactly how this accident happened but I'm still putting my money on it happened the way I said with the strap getting inside the trigger guard.
User error plain and simple. Nothing else. No such animal as an accidental discharge. Nothing but negligence.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
We use this type of holster all the time. It's user error plain and simple
Oh absolutely it's operator error. I never incinuated any blame on the holster itself. 100% of gun accidents are operator error unless the gun malfunctions as in the case of Rem 700s.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
User error plain and simple. Nothing else. No such animal as an accidental discharge. Nothing but negligence.
ACCIDENTS HAPPEN !! They always have, and alway will.. And some guns are easier to have an accident with..

I'll bet money he was using a Glock..

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I only speculated that the gun discharged during an overconfident speed reholstering job. I have not seen whether it was on the draw or on the in any articles, so the initial speculation was just my opinion. I certainly hope he's ok, makes a full recovery and eventually shares his lesson learned. Or, he forms a support group with the former ATF agent that shot himself in the foot in the classroom. Hopefully the former.

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
100% of gun accidents are operator error unless the gun malfunctions as in the case of Rem 700s.

Do you have 1st hand proof that it was the remington 700 fault?

I'm not talking about what you seen on TV or read about on the internet or heard about from you brothers 3rd cousin.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts