Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Once the tide came in we were able to get of the bar on our own. But did some damage to the rudder and prop when the key way on the steering failed, it let the rudder turn into the prop while backing up and damaged both. I will remove them while in the water and redo al shaft packing at the same time. Hoping to be ready to do some fishing on the next full moon with Boostedbowtie for mangrove snapper and grouper for the next moon cycle. Seatow is now in effect again. Last year the turbo failed and the mechanics that were doing the replacement too over a year so when the last contract with them expired I did not renew till this trip was already underway and not active in time to save me the show up charge. Boating life sucks at times. But after everything you get to look back at laugh at yourself for your fuck ups. These costs come out of my car building funds.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Got fucked by seatow last night coming into the inlet after fishing for red snapper. Hit a sandbar and as luck would have it the tide was going out. Called seatow and it took him an hour to show up and he could not do anything for me but charge $800 for a two hour minimum. Now waiting for high tide so I can get back to the marina.
Nice catch! Hey shit happens don’t let it ruin your day.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
That was a real nice red there buddy. I am envious.I miss fishing the Gulf. Grouper , scamp, snapper, flounder.

Sucks the boat went aground as such. Maybe the depth/ fish finder should be on the front of the boat...LOL

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That was a real nice red there buddy. I am envious.I miss fishing the Gulf. Grouper , scamp, snapper, flounder.

Sucks the boat went aground as such. Maybe the depth/ fish finder should be on the front of the boat...LOL
Here is the mangrove snapper that manages to survive live with big reds

Attachments

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
26,805 Posts
Nice catch! I'm jealous.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Got fucked by seatow last night coming into the inlet after fishing for red snapper. Hit a sandbar and as luck would have it the tide was going out. Called seatow and it took him an hour to show up and he could not do anything for me but charge $800 for a two hour minimum. Now waiting for high tide so I can get back to the marina.
Looks like you kind of fucked yourself there.

As far as Sea Tow goes, learned a long time ago that the insurance is much less than a single tow.

·
Registered
717 Posts
$180 a year for seatow sounds like a waste until you need it. My boat had less than 100 hours on it when left me stranded in the gulf.

Shit happens.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Broke key-way on steering????? That's got to require serious torque. I'd be looking for bent shafts and damages to through-hull flange areas. You are going to fix all in the water?????

I absolutely hate inboards, especially single-screw inboards...

Quote: "did some damage to the rudder and prop when the key way on the steering failed, it let the rudder turn into the prop while backing up and damaged both. I will remove them while in the water and redo al shaft packing at the same time."

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Broke key-way on steering????? That's got to require serious torque. I'd be looking for bent shafts and damages to through-hull flange areas. You are going to fix all in the water?????

I absolutely hate inboards, especially single-screw inboards...

Quote: "did some damage to the rudder and prop when the key way on the steering failed, it let the rudder turn into the prop while backing up and damaged both. I will remove them while in the water and redo al shaft packing at the same time."
Yes I hate singles too, but it is what it is. I will pull the shafts and insert a plug while repairs are done. It’s not that hard to do. Boat has a single Cummins diesel so fuel economy is real good. Next year I want to make trip to the Bahamas for some diving and fishing. That’s when getting 2mpg will be the big payoff. I can leave with both tanks full and not have to worry about filling up in the islands and getting some bad fuel.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
We did a run to the Bahamas with six boats from my powerboat club in combo with going to the APBA Championships in Key West . One boat lost a motor, never forget it was like humpty dumpty, despite two boats simultaneously getting him on plane his one-600+ HP remaining screw could not keep his boat going fast enough to maintain itself on plane.
Make sure you do as supposed and pay the Bahama's Temporary Cruising Permit and the risks of having your boat seized by the darkies.
With respect to 'this grounding adventure' consider it an omen and simply stay inside USA's Waters. You sure as Hell just experienced the 'effects' of a moderate fuck-up, realize it will be exponential worse if anything happens in the Bahamas.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts