Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looing into mounting a scope on my ruger blackhawk for deer hunting, anyone ever do it themselves ? the 2 mounts i've seen require drilling and tapping, something i'm nevous about doing to a new pistol.

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
i've been looing into mounting a scope on my ruger blackhawk for deer hunting, anyone ever do it themselves ? the 2 mounts i've seen require drilling and tapping, something i'm nevous about doing to a new pistol.
I had them on several Rugers. I had a gunsmith do the drilling and tapping. I wouldn't think about trying that myself. I had a Leupold 2x on a Super Blackhawk and a 4x on a Redhawk. They were great rigs for deer in the woods. Not really anything to be nervous about, just use a qualified gunsmith.

FWIW, I always used Leupold on my revolvers. They always worked well. My contenders and xp always got Burris, but the leupolds were great.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got 1 local gunsmith, i brought an ak to him to install a muzzle brake, 6 weeks later i retreived the rifle and installed it myself. I wish there was a good guy around here that could be trusted.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I had a scope on my pistol.. I never could get the eye relief right on it... I would get it set on the bench .. but in the real world It was never right.. went back to iron sights..
That being said..mounting the scope was no problem..
I agee with Resto that Leupolds your best bet..
MPK

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Not mount related, but stick with a fixed power 2X. The EER Leupold 2X pistol scope is nice. 4X on a pistol is to much scope. I have a friend of mine dad's that has shot weekly for a lot of years. He can shoot a 6" group at two hundred yards with a .44 Blackhawk and a 2X Leupold all day long. The Ruger has had a lot of trick work done to it.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
First of all I'd forget about using a variable power scope on a Blackhawk revolver. Too hard to controll eye relief. Myself I like the TASCO Proshop two power scopes with the 30mm tube. I have a couple of them, and a 44 mag won't hurt them (these have been out of production for quite awhile). On the Blackhawk again, you never stated the caliber, but if it's a 44 mag, I'd be looking a Leupold dual dove tail mounts. Just be shure to lap them in and maybe get some Loctite press fit compound to coat the inside of the bottom rings. I use a Redfield base and ring set on my 629, but never load it much hotter than 1350 fps with #9 powder. On my TC's I ended up using dual dove tail mounts (I hate them, but they work). I tried a Weaver style base with Burris Z rings, and the scope moved all over the place. (I use a lot H110 in the TC's) On my 35 Rem I use a steel Weaver style base that has been reworked to take three rings and has slots milled in it to further keep things from moving. So far it's still hanging in there
gary

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my ruger is the 45 colt/45 acp version.i was thinking of using a little 1.3x bushnell phantom scope i have.i have a contender brand mount that replaces the rear sight but the front of it requires drilling and taping the top of the pistol.what do you think of using that setup?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
my ruger is the 45 colt/45 acp version.i was thinking of using a little 1.3x bushnell phantom scope i have.i have a contender brand mount that replaces the rear sight but the front of it requires drilling and taping the top of the pistol.what do you think of using that setup?
might look at the B-Square lineup, as they might do such a thing. Also seems like some somebody did a clamp on affair the attached itself to the barrel. No further than I shoot my Blackhawk 45's, a scope isn't a must need item (I think I own five of them). One just can never own enough single action 45's!
gary

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
That's what was on my Super B. It worked fine. Stay away from those clamp on deals like Gary mentioned. I did that once.

You know, if you don't want to drill that Ruger, you could just sell it to me.:-D

I had a couple, and they're fun to load for!

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
That's what was on my Super B. It worked fine. Stay away from those clamp on deals like Gary mentioned. I did that once.

You know, if you don't want to drill that Ruger, you could just sell it to me.:-D

I had a couple, and they're fun to load for!
if you have to drill and tap into the barrel, I think I'd look for another gun. I use the factory adjustable sights on mine, and they're plenty good enough considering the range your working with. I need to get one out of the safe to take a closer look at it, but from memory it seems to me that there's not a lot of room to work with in the bridge. Another thing about the Blackhawk is that it becomes a real handfull with hot loads due to the grip size. But you can fit the Super Blackhawk grip frame to a regular Blackhawk without a lot of trouble. Always wondered why they never sold a Super Blackhawk in 45LC
gary

P.S. if you have a milling machine or know somebody that's got a good square one (very rare), you coud actually order in a set of Super Blackhawk scope rings and cut the scallops like the factory does. They look like they use a regular dove tail cutter with the same radius that the male part of the rings have

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
if you have to drill and tap into the barrel, I think I'd look for another gun. I use the factory adjustable sights on mine, and they're plenty good enough considering the range your working with. I need to get one out of the safe to take a closer look at it, but from memory it seems to me that there's not a lot of room to work with in the bridge. Another thing about the Blackhawk is that it becomes a real handfull with hot loads due to the grip size. But you can fit the Super Blackhawk grip frame to a regular Blackhawk without a lot of trouble. Always wondered why they never sold a Super Blackhawk in 45LC
gary

P.S. if you have a milling machine or know somebody that's got a good square one (very rare), you coud actually order in a set of Super Blackhawk scope rings and cut the scallops like the factory does. They look like they use a regular dove tail cutter with the same radius that the male part of the rings have
Actually, I never put a scope on one of my Long Colts. Had a 4 5/8" and a 71/2" version. They were fun just the way they were. They could take a little hotter load than other brands and were good shooters. Oddly enough, my longest shot on a deer with a handgun was with an open sighted 8 3/8" Model 29 Smith.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Actually, I never put a scope on one of my Long Colts. Had a 4 5/8" and a 71/2" version. They were fun just the way they were. They could take a little hotter load than other brands and were good shooters. Oddly enough, my longest shot on a deer with a handgun was with an open sighted 8 3/8" Model 29 Smith.
I bought a 629 Classic with the 8 3/8th's barrel, round rubber grip. Loved shooting it. Gun was stolen, and later recovered. I sent it back to S&W for a complete check out as it looked like it'd been dropped. Also had them change the finish to the rough bead blasted finish the Performance Center guns come with. They did find that the gun had been dropped, and repaired it. Did a nice trigger job on it while they had it. When the gun came back it was still in the OEM finish; even though I paid them to refinish it. Sent it back again, and they lost it in the plant! Then they find it, and do the finish work on it like I requested (plus the laser etched all the logos again). I get the gun back after close to six months! The finish was wrong! It came with a glass beaded finish that was really nice! The gunsmith had already called them on this, but I liked it so well I told them not to worry about it. I put a 30mm tubed Tasco Proshop scope on it with Redfield rings (if memory is right) and base. The finish on the rings and base is very close to the gun's finish. The scope is black, and wish it was the same finish, but you can't have everything! Shoot 250 grain cast lead bullets in it mostly (Lyman mold with a gas check). Most rounds I shoot are AA#9 at 20.2 grains for about 1380 fps (measured with my PACT chronograph). On a real good day (and I have not had a couple Becks) I can shoot three to three and a half inch groups at fifty yards (gas checks actually hurt the group size) off a rest. At twenty five yards I can hold silver dollar sized groups off hand. It's not as accurate as a Super Redhawk in my opinion, but gets the job done. I never shoot H110 in that gun! And need to find another nice clean burning powder that shoots a little better under jacketed bullets
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
They make a blackhawk hunter with scope ring mounts. I think you'd be ahead to sell yours and buy one?
never seen the Blackhawk Hunter, but have seen several Super Blackhawks built like that. Another option would be to send it back to the factory and have them either rebarrel it with a "Hunter" barrel or cut the scallops in it for the scope rings. I like this setup cause it moves the scope off the reciever.
gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts