Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife being the "green" person she tries to be wants a scooter for her commute to work. It must be able to go at least 50 mph and be reliable. Whats a good scooter for her? She doesn't want a big bulky unit either. I was looking at Aprilla's however I'm open to options.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Get the original......Vespa.
We have all kinds here in Bermuda. Buy a Vespa you wont be disapointed. They have been around a long time for a reason. My GT125 with a 215cc kit on it will go 80mph all day long, That Yamaha is UGLY..........

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Signup to the EVList and go elelctric if you want performance. There are lots of options and I am not sure which is which. It will also depend on how far you have to go. But there are loads of them which have been outlawed because of speed. Heck they even have stand on top ones that do 60-80mph.

I had a customer build a a motorcycle that he could get 50miles at 50mph from. Cost him $1500.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kenny, I had one of those growing up and the biggest problem I found with those is they have no suspension travel when jumping a 55 gallon drum with a 10' plank. I split that sucker in half.

We had a neighbor whose father worked at a honda dealership and in the mid-70's he would buy them and bring them home for us kids. what memories...

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
My buddy use to sell the TANK brand China scooter and I built one from stuff he had laying around the store. I had to have a 49 CC frame to fit in the area of my car trailer available but I special ordered a 87 CC engine though. Mine will run about 55 MPH on flat gound. It works great for me riding around race tracks but I wouldn't want to buy one retail and ride it on the street. Low quality China crap. Mine looks brand new and I got about 500 bucks in it but I'd say avoid the various brand China stuff. Another thing with these is no manuals or parts available. My buddy was dismantleing new scooters to get parts which is how I was able to create mine, I used what was laying around scraped for parts. By a name brand proven scooter. RM

·
Empress
1,928 Posts
Has your "green" wife considered car pooling or taking some form of public transportation. Even if she does this a few days a week. What will she drive to and from work when it's raining? Have you considered a hybrid or electric car?

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
Kenny, I had one of those growing up and the biggest problem I found with those is they have no suspension travel when jumping a 55 gallon drum with a 10' plank. I split that sucker in half.

We had a neighbor whose father worked at a honda dealership and in the mid-70's he would buy them and bring them home for us kids. what memories...
That's funny Tom!
Everyone I talk to has had one or knew somebody that did and everyone has the same story behind it. You know, "Dad got rid of it because I was steeling the gas outta the lawnmower to go riding, My sister ran it into a tree and got hurt so dad sold it, etc"
It's too funny to listen to all of the great childhood stories behind these things. I ride it to the local bike nights around here and the people just go nuts over it. I put a fake NOS kit on it and that makes it even more fun.
Bad thing is that I ride an 07 Road King that I got 30 grand into and the 70 gets way more attention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts