Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been looking at this school and thinking about it for a while. I have enough ben left on my GI bill that I could take one of there programs. Trucking is getting old and I pretty much hate it. So my question is has anyone attended this school? What was the job placement like? I know its tough to get into a NHRA or nascar type job, which is fine. Im just looking at things as far a potential jobs and making a decent living.

Ive already atteneded wyotech and it sucked. Ive read a lot of reviews on this school and most of them seem pretty good, but im having problems finding any info on what types of jobs and income can be expected if you don't get a big job offer from one of the big motorsports/racing teams. Any help or info would be great thanks

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I wish that's what I was doing. I'm just a normal cnc machinist now started out a manual. I always wanted to do the automotive work. I can't offer any help to your question the only thing I can say is good luck I hope it works out for you.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,802 Posts
Trucking is getting old and I pretty much hate it. So my question is has anyone attended this school? What was the job placement like? I know its tough to get into a NHRA or nascar type job, which is fine. Im just looking at things as far a potential jobs and making a decent living.

Ive already atteneded wyotech and it sucked. Ive read a lot of reviews on this school and most of them seem pretty good, but im having problems finding any info on what types of jobs and income can be expected if you don't get a big job offer from one of the big motorsports/racing teams. Any help or info would be great thanks

if your already trucking that is one of the major things nhra pro teams look for ... they want you to have a CDL to help drive the trucks .

i heard several times the best way to get a job with an nhra pro team is take your resume to the race track on a thursday when they are setting up and hand it to the team manager personally ....

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if your already trucking that is one of the major things nhra pro teams look for ... they want you to have a CDL to help drive the trucks .

i heard several times the best way to get a job with an nhra pro team is take your resume to the race track on a thursday when they are setting up and hand it to the team manager personally ....
I figured having a CDL would help my chances on that. As I said before if I don't make it onto a big race team then its not really a issue. I need to call the school Monday and look at career paths out of their programs. Figured I would post here if anyone has had any info.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Looked at it a few years ago couldn't justify the price.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,802 Posts
if its free GO .... you will never go wrong by having another "tool" in your tool box {ie knowledge}

i think for the most part the pro nhra teams like to see you went to a tech school but they also look at other individual qualifications . like if your a certified welder .... or a cook . lol ....

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Hell I got a GI bill laying around, is this a decent career path?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
this is what I want to know
Yea I've looked into it a little. I just want to know overall, are machinist jobs one the rise? Or on the decline? Could give a shit less if it was in the automotive field.

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I've looked into it a little. I just want to know overall, are machinist jobs one the rise? Or on the decline? Could give a shit less if it was in the automotive field.
With all the technology I would almost be willing to bet it would be on the decline. You never know though

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
all of those are good choiceskinda expensive.. but that is what it takes nowdays since there is not much other choice as an internonly issue that i have seen is that in certain areas of the country, the court system gives an alternative to the criminal gang member types to go to this sort of trade school.. instead of spending time in a priZon.. see lots of this out here in rancho cucamonga ATI

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Hell I'm not worried about what is cost. I have like 85,000$ worth of GI bill money that I haven't touched. I'm just having a hard time deciding what is the best use of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Machinist jobs are really hard to get any real money out of now. I got lucky and got into a tiny shop with no health care or 401k but my wife has state benefits so pay is ok. Most companies that have called me for jobs are offering 15-20 per hour for cnc programmers. 10-12 for operators. I'm already ready to jump out. 10 years ago big money now only if your really lucky. All my experience is in tool making side maybe automotive is better.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Machinist jobs are really hard to get any real money out of now. I got lucky and got into a tiny shop with no health care or 401k but my wife has state benefits so pay is ok. Most companies that have called me for jobs are offering 15-20 per hour for cnc programmers. 10-12 for operators. I'm already ready to jump out. 10 years ago big money now only if your really lucky. All my experience is in tool making side maybe automotive is better.
If that's the case I'm out. I'm making that working on fucking home HVAC.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,802 Posts
for you guys with the GI bill .... what about going to a welding school ?? should be alot of pipe line / sanitary pipe welding jobs out there that pay very well

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
for you guys with the GI bill .... what about going to a welding school ?? should be alot of pipe line / sanitary pipe welding jobs out there that pay very well
Iv been told that in my area (central arkansas) that I'd be looking at 10-15 an hrs starting out. There in a natural gas boom going on in the north west though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts