Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what would be some disadvantage of running a small ar with a big gate? i mean, what the disadvantage of running small ar's? more back presure, less flow, resulting in less power? if so what would just venting some of the exhaust thru the gate harm or hurt?

·
Registered
840 Posts
A/R and gate size are not applied relative to your question. Turbine wheel diameter = flow or desired horsepower. Size the gate to control desired horsepower. Choose the A/R to operate within your RPM window of operation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, im running a s400with the 1.32 housing, and they make a 1.10. but ive heard of people losing power, but gaining a little spool when goin from 1.32 to 1.10. my question is why are they losing power? cause of lack of flow, and increased back presure? if so couldnt running a large gate fix that?

·
Registered
840 Posts
ok, im running a s400with the 1.32 housing, and they make a 1.10. but ive heard of people losing power, but gaining a little spool when goin from 1.32 to 1.10. my question is why are they losing power? cause of lack of flow, and increased back presure? if so couldnt running a large gate fix that?
It is possible to loose power going to a lower A/R If you are trying to squeeze too much RPM from a given displacement for the amount of power available.

In other words excessive back pressure creates pumping loss or decreases the efficiency of the system as a whole resulting in loss of horsepower.

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
All the gate is used for is to control the exhaust flow through the turbine housing to achieve a desired boost level. The size of the gate will not affect power in anyway. If a wastegate is too small it won't have the capacity to bypass enough exhaust, and the system will over-boost...

A large gate will not heal power loss from switching to a smaller A/R turbine housing. It does not cause more flow through the turbine. A wastegate bypasses exhaust away from the turbine housing, to keep the boost level in check. Nothing more.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Unless you doing some cutting edge stuff. Stick with what Brant and Rick posted!
Lack of spool is usually in the tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts