Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new to racing turbo engines. What are some of the strategy's being used for Ramping and Timing a race only vehicle?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Hit it with as much as the car can handle as fast as possible. I aim for zero ramp and all the timing.

·
Registered
16,469 Posts
I think the advice you're looking for is this:

IMO - You always want more boost available than your car can handle and control the power with timing. Boost is much slower to react than timing so timing is easier to use to control the power incrementally. Another way to think of it is like this: using timing is more precise and predictable if you're trying to finesse the power.

If you have to pull out a ridiculous amount of timing, then lower the boost slightly at that part of the run.

The most important thing is to make sure your suspension is set up to handle as much power as it can so you kill as little power as possible.

Honestly, there are probably others that have more experience managing excess power. I simply don't have enough power to create traction issues on most decent tracks. I usually just figure out how well the car will handle the track conditions on that pass and set the boost ramp accordingly. But I can ramp from 8 lbs boost to 25 lbs in just over a second so I just set up a time/boost ramp based on experience. In my application I'm using manifold pressure not CO2 to control the waste gates so it took a lot of runs to know how to set up the boost ramp correctly and make adjustments since my gates don't respond as quickly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the advice you're looking for is this:

IMO - You always want more boost available than your car can handle and control the power with timing. Boost is much slower to react than timing so timing is easier to use to control the power incrementally. Another way to think of it is like this: using timing is more precise and predictable if you're trying to finesse the power.

If you have to pull out a ridiculous amount of timing, then lower the boost slightly at that part of the run.

The most important thing is to make sure your suspension is set up to handle as much power as it can so you kill as little power as possible.

Honestly, there are probably others that have more experience managing excess power. I simply don't have enough power to create traction issues on most decent tracks. I usually just figure out how well the car will handle the track conditions on that pass and set the boost ramp accordingly. But I can ramp from 8 lbs boost to 25 lbs in just over a second so I just set up a time/boost ramp based on experience. In my application I'm using manifold pressure not CO2 to control the waste gates so it took a lot of runs to know how to set up the boost ramp correctly and make adjustments since my gates don't respond as quickly.
That's the sort of stuff I'm looking for.

We are going to be running a lot of HP and boost(not by some stands here) a small tire on mediocre track at best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts