Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
22,558 Posts
all jokes aside I coach sales professionals for a living. I can tell you the best sales people don't sell. There are three things that matter in a great sales person. 1. Care about the buyer. Care about them more than your quota / commission. 2. Listen. I mean really listen. Buyers will tell you what they want / need, but sometimes they need help to better define that need and 3. Be authentic. The advice you give should be in the interest of the buyer not you. If it's the wrong car or wrong time to buy, tell them. Some of the biggest sales I've ever witnessed was where the seller advised the buyer not to buy. Then helped them get to a position to buy, then they bought big.
And JUST IN CASE the test drive goes bad WEAR CLEAN UNDERWEAR!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a son who is in his first 6 months as a new car salesman. A few things that he has learned as a newbie are. You have to know your product. He gets lots of customers that have done their research and already made up their minds on what they want to buy. He has lost more than one customer due to them knowing more than he did about the car they want to buy, so they went to a different dealer. He used to be a detailer where he works and has gotten in good with those guys and treats them well, so they go out of their way to make his cars look good and are ready for the customer when they are supposed to be. He tells me other senior salesmen get a little bent, because their cars don't get the same attention as his do. Finally he tells me that a lot of his money comes from the back side by selling warranty's and things like resist all. The best thing my son has going for him is his charisma, and now that he has learned the ropes his monthly sales are pretty good.

·
Registered
847 Posts
all jokes aside I coach sales professionals for a living. I can tell you the best sales people don't sell. There are three things that matter in a great sales person. 1. Care about the buyer. Care about them more than your quota / commission. 2. Listen. I mean really listen. Buyers will tell you what they want / need, but sometimes they need help to better define that need and 3. Be authentic. The advice you give should be in the interest of the buyer not you. If it's the wrong car or wrong time to buy, tell them. Some of the biggest sales I've ever witnessed was where the seller advised the buyer not to buy. Then helped them get to a position to buy, then they bought big.
This is spot on. I know a guy that wins Ford sales awards every year and this is him spot on. We have purchased 3 new vehicles through him and he is always friendly and nice. The other salesmen are never even close in sales and ask him his secrets. He says he has no secrets and that they can follow him all day if they want. He says don't lie or make stuff up and be genuine.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Toyotas are good cars but they don't have deals like GM, Ford, Hyundai, Chrysler etc. They have higher rates and little to no discounts so use your car knowledge to tell them, yes its a little more expensive but it'll actually last. Most are already aware of that. Rav4's sell themselves and those will be your bread and butter, corollas sell but that segment is dying. New 2020 highlander is around the corner, another self-seller.

Try to sell them for full pop to make a living, giving cars away is just min wage.

There is a shortage of service advisors - if you'd rather do that job instead

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Step 1. Throw your ethics out the window.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Never sold cars for a living, LOL.
:) Correct I have not. But selling is selling. I started as an outbound call centre sales person. Hardest sale in the world when you are missing 55% of communication 9ie body language). If you can sell over the phone - outbound calling when the potential buyer doesn't want your product is super hard. Way harder than selling to a potential car buyer

And JUST IN CASE the test drive goes bad WEAR CLEAN UNDERWEAR!!
Ha ha, in any sales role, I've seen my fair share go sideways really fast and turn ugly.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
OP, see if you can hire on as a used car salesman at that Toyota store. Probably not, but it's the only way you'll ever make more money than you can by drawing unemployment. There's no money in new cars; too competitive and the dealers typically hire about 3X more salespeople than they actually need, assuring that everyone but the old-timers with extensive customer bases starve to death.

Myself, I did it for 6 years, starved, but learned enough to open my own business in 1979. 40 years later I'm still at it...I didn't get rich but I've made a decent living, enough to provide nicely for my family. Kept my reputation intact all that time by practicing two things - 1, employ the Golden Rule always, and 2, never forget that women are an equal part of any car deal that involves one. They deserve acknowledgement and respect; make sure you give it to them. Never had a bad review, never been sued, always hear things like "I'd buy a car from that guy". We're not all crooks.

Good luck. ;)

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
79,482 Posts
BE YOURSELF...LIKE ANYTHING ELSE...YOU CAN GET GOOD WITH TIME...UNFORTUNATELY IF YOU NEED A CHECK EACH PAY PERIOD...YOU BETTER HUSTLE...ITS ABOUT FACE TIME....AND APPEARANCE...SMELL GOOD...AMD KEEP THAT BREATH IN CHECK....MOST PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY WANT BEFORE THEY GET THERE...SO JUST ASSIST THEM..WITH THE PURCHASE...INSTEAD OF FEELING LIKE YOU NEED TO FORCE A SELL

·
Mother Hen
50,261 Posts
I spent exactly two weeks selling new cars. I told them going in that I wanted some good training, but the second day of training they pulled me from the bunch and put me on the floor to take an up. I sold the car, so they wouldn't let me go back to training with the others. A few days later, I sold a truck, after it died on us on the test drive and we had to have a mechanic come fix it. I still sold that exact truck, yet they didnt want to pay me commission on either sale, because I was still officially "in training". That shit didn't fly and I quit.

I am good at sales, but I don't like selling products for other people. I enjoy selling my own items now and can run my business honestly and exactly the way I want to. If I don't think a product is what the customer is really looking for, I tell them so. If a piece of jewelry doesn't suit them, I will tell them that, too. I believe in building a relationship with my customers and my business thrives on repeat business. My customers have to trust me and you cannot fake honesty or interest without them figuring it out. So don't lie and don't cheat. Be sincere, or your customers will know you aren't.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
There really is some good advice in here. I like Carilinagirl’s perspective. While I’m not in car sales, I still have to go out and convince my clients that our service is better than a competitor for my business. Being genuine and authentic has been a huge benefit, so your personality has a lot to do with it. Be positive. Two authors that have helped me are Robert Cialdini (sp?) and Jeffery Gitomer. Cialdini wrote Influence and Pre-suasion and they have been very interesting reads. Gitomer’s Little Red Book Of Selling has a ton of very helpful information as well and his other books are good to look into also. One other thing... listen. Listen to your clients and provide an avenue to give them what they need and want. Good luck.

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
I met a guy who moved to Jax from Detroit where he sold Porsches just to sell Porsches in Jax. He was the #1 Salesman at Brumos Porsche supposedly selling over 20/month. The guy was a workaholic putting in 80+ week. Had a magnificent vintage BOSS 302. Then he just vanished from town. To sell that number of Porsches $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Locally, You can kiss goodbye every Thursday and Friday night. Every Saturday and the majority of the holidays(4th, memorial day, labor, black Friday).

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Short sighted company. #1 way to motivate sales-persons. Sell something and get handed the commi$$ion, watch them run to go sell something else.

I spent exactly two weeks selling new cars. I told them going in that I wanted some good training, but the second day of training they pulled me from the bunch and put me on the floor to take an up. I sold the car, so they wouldn't let me go back to training with the others. A few days later, I sold a truck, after it died on us on the test drive and we had to have a mechanic come fix it. I still sold that exact truck, yet they didnt want to pay me commission on either sale, because I was still officially "in training". That shit didn't fly and I quit.

I am good at sales, but I don't like selling products for other people. I enjoy selling my own items now and can run my business honestly and exactly the way I want to. If I don't think a product is what the customer is really looking for, I tell them so. If a piece of jewelry doesn't suit them, I will tell them that, too. I believe in building a relationship with my customers and my business thrives on repeat business. My customers have to trust me and you cannot fake honesty or interest without them figuring it out. So don't lie and don't cheat. Be sincere, or your customers will know you aren't.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
OP, see if you can hire on as a used car salesman at that Toyota store. Probably not, but it's the only way you'll ever make more money than you can by drawing unemployment. There's no money in new cars; too competitive and the dealers typically hire about 3X more salespeople than they actually need, assuring that everyone but the old-timers with extensive customer bases starve to death.

Myself, I did it for 6 years, starved, but learned enough to open my own business in 1979. 40 years later I'm still at it...I didn't get rich but I've made a decent living, enough to provide nicely for my family. Kept my reputation intact all that time by practicing two things - 1, employ the Golden Rule always, and 2, never forget that women are an equal part of any car deal that involves one. They deserve acknowledgement and respect; make sure you give it to them. Never had a bad review, never been sued, always hear things like "I'd buy a car from that guy". We're not all crooks.

Good luck. ;)
The Rev pretty much summed it up. It's a revolving door at most all new car dealerships due to the fact most dealers give the cars away so a salesman might make $50 on a new car deal. The money is made in the F&I department.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts