Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to a 9" rearend and have no experience with them. Car is 3,480 lbs, Runs 5:80's NA. Planning on a 200 shot. 10.5 tire. What I need to know is the best spline, axle bearing, and third member to run. Planing on ordering a braced up housing and any advice to get the correct setup would be appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Going to a 9" rearend and have no experience with them. Car is 3,480 lbs, Runs 5:80's NA. Planning on a 200 shot. 10.5 tire. What I need to know is the best spline, axle bearing, and third member to run. Planing on ordering a braced up housing and any advice to get the correct setup would be appreciated.
I’m far from an expert on this but am currently going through upgrading my axles and center section. I seriously doubt any manufacturer would recommend less than 35 spline based on multiple conversations I had about my setup because I’ll weigh almost 1,000lbs less than you and make less power than you will on nitrous and I was told I needed 35 spline or larger. I ended up going with gun drilled 40 spline Strange axles because they are stronger and not much more expensive than 35 spline and lighter than the solid 33 I was running. For the center section I went with Strange Pro HD 3.812 bearing with steel spool and pro gears. I’m thinking this setup will handle anything I’ll ever throw at it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Will a 35 spline spool fit into a factory center or does the 35 spline require a aftermarket center?
Mark Williams makes an axle kit to use 35 spline in a 3.062 but most manufacturers require a 3.250 case. If you don’t already have the center you would be much better off to get one with the larger bearing.

·
Banksters Paradise
7,785 Posts
You need 35 spline but 40 wouldnt hurt. get the big late ford terino ends and bearings. or big late early ends have one size bigger retaining bolts. if you want to do a third member cheap there's a brand other than procomp a through bolt aluminum i forgot the name of it now someone will know which one i'm talking about. It's good to at least 1000hp.

I researched all this for mine but then i went S60. Nothing wrong with the S60 either except lack of low numerical gears.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You need 35 spline but 40 wouldnt hurt. get the big late ford terino ends and bearings. or big late early ends have one size bigger retaining bolts. if you want to do a third member cheap there's a brand other than procomp a through bolt aluminum i forgot the name of it now someone will know which one i'm talking about. It's good to at least 1000hp.

I researched all this for mine but then i went S60. Nothing wrong with the S60 either except lack of low numerical gears.

Yukon?

·
Registered
145 Posts

Yukon?
That’s what I’m thinking too. My old center section is a Yukon aluminum through bolt and I think you can get them for around $1100. I didn’t have any trouble from mine and I wouldn’t be afraid to buy another one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have reached out to 3 different rearend manufactures with the requirements I stated. The only one that has responded, quoted $4,500.00 with no third member, just a housing and axle package. If this is going to be the typical price for a braced 9 inch housing and axle package, I need to change the thread to school me on S60 Dana's.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have reached out to 3 different rearend manufactures with the requirements I stated. The only one that has responded, quoted $4,500.00 with no third member, just a housing and axle package. If this is going to be the typical price for a braced 9 inch housing and axle package, I need to change the thread to school me on S60 Dana's.
You should be able to get a complete Strange setup for much less than 4500. I bought one this winter and I paid less than that and I got an S-trac instead of a spool.

·
Registered
16,471 Posts
Contact TRZ Motorsports and ask them for an estimate. They can buy the parts and build it in their shop. I think they have time to build one but call them.

·
Smashing Big Blocks
7,713 Posts
That'a a ridiculous price. I bought a complete Strange diff backbraced, bolt through 3rd member. 40 spline axles lightened, 5/8" studs and nuts, and complete brake system for 3500.00 from Strange.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That'a a ridiculous price. I bought a complete Strange diff backbraced, bolt through 3rd member. 40 spline axles lightened, 5/8" studs and nuts, and complete brake system for 3500.00 from Strange.
I agree. I got a complete 9" 35 spline, thru bolt, 35 spline, brakes, and an S-Trac for $3700 for a Gbody. With a spool it would have been been $3200ish I think.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
That price is insane! I just bought a bolt in 9" housing with 35-spline Moser axles for less than $800 shipped to my door. Granted it is for a street car so the housing isn't braced but it was only another $170 to brace it. I used the Yukon center section and it setup very nice. I've got less than $2200 in my complete 9", 35-spline Moser axles, Detroit locker, 4.10 Motive gears, 1350 yoke. This is basically the same setup I used in my 3300lb Nova that went 5.20's. You might have a look at Quick Performance as that is who I bought my housing and axles from.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts