Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run or have experience tuning the cast tunnel ram by schmidt motor works for 18* big chief heads? Engine sizes around 632

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
nice looking intake,i found the site..i sent an email to see if they have any in stock.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Yes I know of them. Not a lot of them around but from what I have heard, they will make some good steam if that's what you need.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it looks close but the 7500 rpm max engine speed coment on there web site makes me wonder...tried to call and got a answering machine...no call back.....sent email.....no response..so I thought I would try for some feed back here before I continued to try and contact them. The price seems very good

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I talked to him one time about it - I was worried that the runners looked very long - he said they were and intended for lower rpm combos

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mikeyfrombc; don't know about that one, didn't know they had more than one. The one I was looking at was for 18* big chief heads, says it will fit several spread port bbc heads.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cgeise; thats what it looked like to me also the way the web add reads its hard to tell if they mean peak hp at 7500 or if it falls on its face at 7500
peak at 7500 not so bad......on its face at 7500 not what I need...

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
cant see it falling on its face at 7500..i emailed and he replied.it looks about the same runner length as the dart cast intake for big chiefs.i am considering ordering one.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know where there is a excellent deal on one that come off of a schmidt 632 it has 3 speed tech kits ready to go. If you are interested pm me and I can find out what he wants for it or I can give you his number. Thanks

·
Registered
27,478 Posts
Hey, I just started reading YB again (there is some cool stuff here) and found this thread, I still have the patterns for that manifold but haven't made them in a long time.

Here is a web site i made from when I made it.

http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com/manifold_story/manifold_story.html

When I made it I was targeting people that wanted to take it easy on the rpm (shift at 7500) and have longer engine life, turned out there weren't too many people that were thinking that way.

The difficult thing about spread-port heads is all the different brands have the ports and screw holes in different locations so that manifold fits some heads better than others. I had to leave some blend stock on the last 1.5 inces or so of the runners to make it possible to match different heads. If you just bolt it on it will be restricted by that port stock unless you grind it out to match.
I have CAD templates for all the different spread-port heads.

I'm very busy with work, kids and other projects these days, if someone wanted to make some of these manifolds i would be happy to set someone up to do it for next to nothing.
It cost about $450 to have each casting made (it uses a lot of sand) and the machining takes some time too, it would depend on what kind of equipment you have.

I heard from one guy that bought one (maybe one of you) that said he got much better performance out of it by increasing the flare on the blend from the runners to the plenum. Probably because it made the runners shorter.

Anyhow, if someone wants to get into the manifold business here is your chance. It would be quite big to move, all of the patterns and core boxes fill a crew-cab dually inside and out, but they all do fit in one trip.

If someone wanted to, it wouldn't be too hard to make the runners shorter.

·
Registered
27,478 Posts
Not with that casting, obviously the design is quite different.

Of course I could make a pattern for that but the market is well filled already isn't it?

The Profiler manifold is one of the best, is there something different that you want?

I would be interested in making a new cylinder-head or manifold to prove out this system I am developing for rapid production of casting foundry patterns.

problem is I don't have a good idea for something to make, the crazy stuff that is interesting like 4 valve heads etc, no one will buy. The regular stuff is over supplied and difficult to break even on.

If you can think of something that you think a lot of people would want, please let me know.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts