Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you run one? 406, 12.5:1 cr, 660 roller, 220 aluminum heads, maybe winding it to 7500 rpm in 3000lbs?

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,327 Posts
I had a scat 9000 in the dirt track car for a few seasons. Every saturday night in the summer. Practice, heat races, and a 25 lap main. 7400 to 7600 the entire time. No problems. 363ci sbc 3200lb car

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With 2 kits. :supz:
On a serious note?

I just don't know if that combo is worth $800.00 for a crank, American, every one of your dollars cost me $1.25!
I'm just wondering if a more reasonable priced cast crank will do the job?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Scat yes, me personally I would not use the Eagle.

I have a customer with an engine almost a twin to yours with a cast Scat crank. It's probably been together 10 years now. Plus it's in a 4 speed car. Zero issues.

But it's still the old saying, "Some people can break anything"..."Some people can make anything work"

Keith

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also curious about this 3000+pounds hitting it with the trans brake (4000rpm), also
Thinking about the scat pro comp rods they look like a good peice

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Had a scat 9000 in my 406, motor started with stock cast 500+ runs, rebuilt with the scat and put over 300 with it turning 7400 at the stripe. Started valuing my life a little more and parked it. MAIN thing is probably detonation.:smt102

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Scat 9000 cast steel in mine turning it 7000 on the hose, haven't had an issues in the last 200 passes or so.

·
Senior with common sense
8,966 Posts
check and recheck all the machined surfaces..and be prepaired to fix them...that being said...i would run one if my machinist was happy with its condition after being checked and or fixed so its ready to install.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If, and I wouldn't but if I was going to use a cast crank it would be a stock casting.
If I hadn't seen it done, I'd probably argue with you.

A friend of mine ran a stock GM crank with some no name H beams in his pump-gas 400 with AFR 227s, 630 ish comp solid roller in a 76 short narrow c10 for several years. He kicked the shit out of it, shifting it over 7000.

He pulled it to check and freshen and the middle 3 mains were cracked in two, crank wasn't hurt. I figured that much stress, should've hurt the crank, but it didn't.

Some people have good luck, If I tried that, it'd cut itself in half take everything else with it.

·
FHRITP
50,686 Posts
If I hadn't seen it done, I'd probably argue with you.

A friend of mine ran a stock GM crank with some no name H beams in his pump-gas 400 with AFR 227s, 630 ish comp solid roller in a 76 short narrow c10 for several years. He kicked the shit out of it, shifting it over 7000.

He pulled it to check and freshen and the middle 3 mains were cracked in two, crank wasn't hurt. I figured that much stress, should've hurt the crank, but it didn't.

Some people have good luck, If I tried that, it'd cut itself in half take everything else with it.
how many stock cranks have you seen just break? That weren't rattle to death or oil starved? And the kicker is most them stock cranks are 30+ years old and were beatin on 200k miles before they made it in the race engine. :p

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the issue, I have a very fresh 377 that locked up at an idle, quite sure the crank may be bent, long story! Anyway, I'm definetly not using this crank, it's a 6" 377, I want to get the scat 6" rod internal balanced scat 9000 crank.
I've already lined up the Pistons.

·
FHRITP
50,686 Posts
Here's the issue, I have a very fresh 377 that locked up at an idle, quite sure the crank may be bent, long story! Anyway, I'm definetly not using this crank, it's a 6" 377, I want to get the scat 6" rod internal balanced scat 9000 crank.
I've already lined up the Pistons.
ew. what makes you think the crank is bent?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
ran scat 9000 for years 12.1 alcohol motors kieth black hypers.....393w turned 7000 like a dream....bumped up to 13.1 broke 3 cranks...three blocks....and started spitting pistons out headers...lol....so seems high compression and rpm seem to brake them....stay at 12.1 prolly be fine....I also internally balanced the last one ...it just cost me more to break it...lmao!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ew. what makes you think the crank is bent?
The history behind this thing, like I said, long story, truck just didn't turn the numbers it should have, then it slowed down with every pass, made no noise, but the next morning after I got it teched, I was driving back to my pit, at an idle, and it just shut off, like someone shut the key, locked up!
Long story though before it went in this new motor!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ran scat 9000 for years 12.1 alcohol motors kieth black hypers.....393w turned 7000 like a dream....bumped up to 13.1 broke 3 cranks...three blocks....and started spitting pistons out headers...lol....so seems high compression and rpm seem to brake them....stay at 12.1 prolly be fine....I also internally balanced the last one ...it just cost me more to break it...lmao!!
Mines going to be 12.5:1

1 - 20 of 46 Posts