Yellow Bullet Forums banner

261 - 280 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
27,237 Posts
Exactly , you have no proof of the 429/460 getting a break. From what I found the Fe did , but that’s a different engine combo altogether. I’ve seen chevy guys butthurt , ford guys butthurt , and many Mopar fans butthurt. I would say the GM camp is the most up in arms about losing. Being completely honest. I bet you didn’t wear that shirt to any NHRA events from around the 78-89 area, when gliddens Fords were putting nearly every rat in sight on the trailer Lol. I will put a factory style Yates head against any 23 degree head. It just plain works better.
That’s big of you. Putting a Yates head, which isn’t stock Cleveland valve angle, against a 23 degree cylinder head. I actually wore that shirt from 83 to 84 everywhere I raced. I’m still alive also. You just proved my point, they take everything so personal. Thank you for making my point. Why don’t you challenge me to a Cleveland head against a CFE 15 degree? I already know the answer, but lighten up Francis. I already explained why I won against better heads locally. I ain’t that smart, they were just that much less smart. Hope that explains it. And I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but the sbc has won more races, more championships, and set more records then any other engine in dragracing. I’m not embarrassed by what I run. If you like what you run, run it, and be happy.

I also outran the Blue Thunder stuff, and SVO stuff just a short 4 year’s ago with, get this, the 30 year old Dart Buick. By, .3. But, again, Bob Glidden wasn’t there. Didn’t stop them from getting their feelings hurt though. Was either number 1 qualifier, or number 2 qualifier each weekend. The cars that qualified ahead of me were an SB-2 by .01 and a John Lingenfelter 15 degree by .06. Everyone else was in the way. Won one, runner upped at two. But, this argument will never end, so good luck.

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
Are we still arguing over whether Ford or Chevrolet first introduced the canted valve?
Personally I can care less who was first.. I care who is better and the clear choice here is Chevrolet!!

Samsung didn't invent the TV but I will take it over an RCA.. Ford guys still watching RCA TV's while bragging how much better they are than Samsung...

·
SHERIFF
5,437 Posts
Personally I can care less who was first.. I care who is better and the clear choice here is Chevrolet!!

Samsung didn't invent the TV but I will take it over an RCA.. Ford guys still watching RCA TV's while bragging how much better they are than Samsung...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
That’s big of you. Putting a Yates head, which isn’t stock Cleveland valve angle, against a 23 degree cylinder head. I actually wore that shirt from 83 to 84 everywhere I raced. I’m still alive also. You just proved my point, they take everything so personal. Thank you for making my point. Why don’t you challenge me to a Cleveland head against a CFE 15 degree? I already know the answer, but lighten up Francis. I already explained why I won against better heads locally. I ain’t that smart, they were just that much less smart. Hope that explains it. And I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but the sbc has won more races, more championships, and set more records then any other engine in dragracing. I’m not embarrassed by what I run. If you like what you run, run it, and be happy.

I also outran the Blue Thunder stuff, and SVO stuff just a short 4 year’s ago with, get this, the 30 year old Dart Buick. By, .3. But, again, Bob Glidden wasn’t there. Didn’t stop them from getting their feelings hurt though. Was either number 1 qualifier, or number 2 qualifier each weekend. The cars that qualified ahead of me were an SB-2 by .01 and a John Lingenfelter 15 degree by .06. Everyone else was in the way. Won one, runner upped at two. But, this argument will never end, so good luck.
Not everyone can make a clev run, they are finicky. But when they do they do. Just ask Ernie Elliot. A port plated closed chamber motor is pretty much the pinnacle of factory iron small block heads. I can’t think of anything better. As for sbc winning more races than any other , no argument there. Also McDonalds has sold more cheeseburgers than any other burger joint. Pretty understandable why when most of the time there is 40-50% more Chevrolet’s in any given race event , as well as the fact they made them for 500 years , and put them in every car imaginable, same as the rat, but unlike the Clev and 429/460.

·
Registered
27,237 Posts
Not everyone can make a clev run, they are finicky. But when they do they do. Just ask Ernie Elliot. A port plated closed chamber motor is pretty much the pinnacle of factory iron small block heads. I can’t think of anything better. As for sbc winning more races than any other , no argument there. Also McDonalds has sold more cheeseburgers than any other burger joint. Pretty understandable why when most of the time there is 40-50% more Chevrolet’s in any given race event , as well as the fact they made them for 500 years , and put them in every car imaginable, same as the rat, but unlike the Clev and 429/460.
Ford heads are far superior to any Chevy head. No one comes close. There. I said it. Now let’s drop it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ford heads are far superior to any Chevy head. No one comes close. There. I said it. Now let’s drop it.
Factory castings I would agree with that. No need to get your panties in a wad. I nor anyone I know runs that old factory heavy iron junk anymore anyways. My heads have trick-flow A460 engraved on the front of them , not a blue oval Lol

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
see, that wasn’t so hard, was it?? :p

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

·
Registered
27,237 Posts
I thought you were gonna post the weight breaks?
Look em up. SBC 7 pounds per cube. Cleveland, 7.2 pounds per cube. It’s on google. It gives all the breaks through the years. Post the one you found in 81 that gives them a 200 pound break. Some had tremendous breaks. But right behind the Cleveland was the 1955 design of the SBC.

·
Registered
27,237 Posts
Factory castings I would agree with that. No need to get your panties in a wad. I nor anyone I know runs that old factory heavy iron junk anymore anyways. My heads have trick-flow A460 engraved on the front of them , not a blue oval Lol
I’m not. Just know Ford guys, and all you have to do is tell them what they want to hear, and they just smile, strut, and puff there chest out. And if, by a strange miracle they ever do get beat, I’ve heard, well, I spun the tires, my water pump quit, my slicks are old, I bent the valves, it needs rerung, I’m packing 400 pounds more, I have the flu, my intake leaks, the number 8 cylinder has a broken ring, my carburetor ain’t open all the way, don’t have the right gears in the rear end, don’t have the right gears in the trans, missed a gear, lost control, slept on the light, left to early, broke down halfway through, my cat died. Those are all true stories by the way. All but the cat thingy.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I found this....

Reher, the only surviving member of what will go down in history as probably the toughest "Bowtie Brigade" representative during this era, admitted that his team just tried to do the best that they could with the rules afforded them.

"I guess it was like you encounter with any kind of racing," explained Reher. "You just kind of go with what is going on. Back then it was necessary for it to be that way. It's not necessary now. The engine tech back then had to be a lot stricter. If you ran the small block Chevy, you had to run the iron factory heads. There's not anything even that crude on a bracket car these days.

"When you compared that to the Ford Cleveland, they were engines in a totally different realm. The pounds-per-cubic inch rules was the NHRA's way of trying to make it where they both could race. There weren't a lot of trick heads for the big blocks either. They were a little better than the small blocks and that's why we switched. They were trying to equal out things as best they could. It's no different than what NASCAR does right now with the varying spoiler heights. With what they NHRA had to work with back in those days, they made their best effort."

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
While you guys are arguing which is better SBC or SBF.. I will let you watch this.. Let me know if it's be quicker with a SBF and why not a single one has ever qualified for this class.. Yet a few SBC's have qualified and even won!!

·
Registered
27,237 Posts
While you guys are arguing which is better SBC or SBF.. I will let you watch this.. Let me know if it's be quicker with a SBF and why not a single one has ever qualified for this class.. Yet a few SBC's have qualified and even won!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIEojx9lx5M
I ain’t arguing. I learned a long time ago to tell them what they want to hear. It’s far easier. They all think they’re Bob Glidden, so I learned to just win consistently, listen to why I won, nod, and go on.

·
Registered
27,237 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIEojx9lx5M
That is badass. Just think if he had hooked up the linkage to his 4 barrel! No, seriously, flawless job.

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
That is badass. Just think if he had hooked up the linkage to his 4 barrel! No, seriously, flawless job.
If the Ford guys give me any lip I will post videos of Andy Jensens single turbo SBC up.. and he doesn't even have the good stuff on his engine.. Just an outdated SBC with a single turbo on it.. :p:p

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
What would you guys guess is quicker to the 1/8 mile... A or B?

A:

B:

If you guessed B.. You are right!! and quicker by more than 2/10's to the 1/8!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I ain’t arguing. I learned a long time ago to tell them what they want to hear. It’s far easier. They all think they’re Bob Glidden, so I learned to just win consistently, listen to why I won, nod, and go on.

This is from Bobs lips, I was a 100 pounds off! I’m sure you know more about it then Bob though....

BG] Well, we bought up all the old junk 429 stuf we could fnd and that’s what we raced with for the next, oh, 15 years I guess. You had to deal with what they made for rules. They put weight on me and took weight of the Chevrolets. Most of the penalties were directed at me. When we went to [race with] the Plymouth in 1979, we had the same weight breaks as the Chevrolet, and we just dominated. Prior to that year, our Ford had to weigh about 300 pounds more than a GM with the same size engine. We went into that with NHRA’s word that they would not change the weight breaks, but after the frst race, they did.

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
Speaking of Glidden.. Anyone know what car and power plant he's racing these days?

261 - 280 of 764 Posts