Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JW promod powerglide behind my sbf . I am wondering what starter to use . I have an 1/8 midplate from skinny kid . 164 tooth flexplate . Anybody with a similar combo or experience let me know what works best . Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
You should just need a normal SBF automatic starter, but if you want to check. Measure from starter mounting surface (usually the front of the motor plate) back to the front of the ring gear. You should be around 3/4" for an automatic. A stick application will be around 3/8".

Craig

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a ford motorsport starter and it will not fit . I know of another person with the same problem and he has tried multiple starters with no luck .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does your motor plate have a hole for the starter, or is it completely cut out, requiring the starter be bolted directly to the JW Ultrabell?

If the motor plate has a hole, maybe it is only setup for 157tooth flex plate.

I don't have any experience with the skinny kid motor plate. I made the motor plate in my car, but I did just finish installing a JW Ultrabelled TH400, and JW 164 tooth flex plate in my car. Had no problem using a standard Tilton SBF automatic starter.

Hope you find the problem.

Craig

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motor plate is set up for a 164 tooth flexplate . It does have the a whole cut out for the starter . What part number is the sarter you used ? Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jeff,
I used a Tilton 54-10013 starter in my car.

What actually doesn't fit about the Motorsport starter you already have? Does the nose hit the inside of the Ultrabell? Pinion won't engage ring gear? Pinion hits the face of the ring gear? Bolts don't line up? etc? Just trying to understand exactly what is causing the problem, so you don't waste time or money on something that won't solve your problem.

Craig

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nose will not fit . The ridge around the nose on the starter will not let the starter bolt in all the way . Don't want to spend money if I don't need to . Thanks for all the help .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jeff,
It sounds like you have 1 of 2 possible problems. Either the alignment ridge on the starter is higher than the thickness of the motor plate. It goes in so far them hits the edge of the ultra bell. Or if the ridge isn't higher, then possibly the starter hole in the motor plate has some taper to it.

Possible solutions. If the ridge is higher, either grind on the Ultrabell anywhere it interferes with the starter hole. Or take nose off starter and mill down ridge so it isn't higher than the thickness of the motor plate. If the starter hole is tapered, then lightly grind on the hole until starter slides all the way in.

I'll measure the nose on a Tilton starter (I have a spare), when I get home today and let you know what the dimensions are of the ridge.

Craig

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jeff,
I measured my spare Tilton starter. The the outside diameter of the ridge is 4.135, height is .200

Craig

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cfb289 I will go out to the shop on friday and get some measurements and see what can be done . Thanks to all for the advice .

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got everything to bolt up and it all measures out okay . We will see what happens in a few weeks after I get a battery and finish wiring the car . Thanks for the help and advice .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts