Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a billet sbf timing chain set and it came with a bronze thrust washer that goes behind the gear and plate, does this have to be in there or can i run it without

·
Registered
497 Posts
A billet timing gear can be aggressive on a stock type cam retainer. Either get a Billet retainer or do what you need to use the bronze insert. Either way you need to be sure that there is adequate clearance after the retainer and gear are installed.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I just replaced my set on a cam swap and after reading about countersinking the bolt holes in the stock retainer for the thrust washer, I passed on the billet and went with another cast gear. Easy.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A billet timing gear can be aggressive on a stock type cam retainer. Either get a Billet retainer or do what you need to use the bronze insert. Either way you need to be sure that there is adequate clearance after the retainer and gear are installed.
I put the bronze piece in and counter sank the bolts that came with it, what clearance are you referring to

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Double responce

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Camshaft endplay.

I actually had to clearance my retainer plate for proper endplay, but I used a Torrington bearing.
I figured it out, mine was so tight I couldn’t even spin the cam wit or without any lifters installed, so i took some off the bronze bearing little bit, rechecked, took little more, its all good now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts