Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after three years of work,money, and drama, I go to start this for the first time:

Only to realize I have a "truck" timing cover:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-635-100/none/images

I am running a standard rotation pump (CWP-641). It leaks and will not work. I grabbed a backing plate from a pump for THIS cover and put it on the 641 pump:

Any ideas? I don't want to change the cover and risk a pan leak. Is there a standard pump that matches up atleast enough to seal with this cover?

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
I would do what is right and change the cover. It's not that hard to do and reseal.

Tip - Don't try and reuse the "half circle" rubber seal, use silicone. Fill up the gap completely then add enough to leave approximately 1/4" excess that will seal against the pan.
Loosen as many pan bolts starting in the front to back as is needed to allow the pan to move down a bit or at least "relax".

Put a little bead of silicon around the flat pan areas. Use a regular damper cover gasket. Just be careful putting the cover on so you don't push and smear the silicone around the 1/2 circle. The last motion while installing the cover should be as much down towards the pan as possible. I think there will be 2 dowels sticking out from the block to help align the damper cover. Once it's aligned, tighten up the damper cover first, then tighten the pan bolts to pull the pan back up snug. You should see a good bead of silicone squeeze out of the pan to damper sealing areas.

There are a variety of other ways to do it but I think this is the way I did it last.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
change the water pump, install an electric, or change the cover.. btw, It appears you have a rev rotation pulley on it also, is it smooth?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
change the water pump, install an electric, or change the cover.. btw, It appears you have a rev rotation pulley on it also, is it smooth?
Electric seems to be my only option with this cover. Do you know of a mechanical that will match this cover?

Yes I have used the smooth pulley on the ribbed side without issue in the past

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
order an aluminum backer off ebay for an electric. They just have a 3/4 hole on the ends

1 - 5 of 5 Posts