Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for pistons in your windsor motors to have enough PTV clearance for AFR 225's. Im running a 418w 9.5 deck with srp flat tops and they are not even gonna come close to working and there is not enough material in the pistons to cut for the right ptv clearance. My exhaust valve grazes the piston when turning the motor over by hand and only have .020 on the intake. Found this out when we went to check my PTV. Sucks having a brand new set of pistons you cant use!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
What camshaft are you running,I am running AFR 205's a .672'' lift Comp cams billet roller,256-260 duration and have plenty of ptv clearance.DSS racing pistons,w351 ford racing block,.015 in the hole.What gasket thickness are you running?My engine is a 408 windsor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What camshaft are you running,I am running AFR 205's a .672'' lift Comp cams billet roller,256-260 duration and have plenty of ptv clearance.DSS racing pistons,w351 ford racing block,.015 in the hole.What gasket thickness are you running?My engine is a 408 windsor.
Bennet did the cam for me. Its .697 .704 lift and duration is .272 & .284 @.050 on a 110. The piston are .020 in the hole and gasket was .041 compressed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had the same problem with AFR225 heads and JE piston.
had to fly cut the pistons. doesnt help if you dont have enough meat
in the piston.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry i just realised mine were srp and the machinest cut more than
i wanted so you should be fine to cut them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used probes with my 408, 640 lift cleared by .100 both valves. Built 438 using same heads with probes 4.125 bore, 730 lift. Hit exhaust valve but cleared intake by mile. Advanced cam 2and degrees. Worked fine

·
Registered
868 Posts
Every SRP flat top that I have used would only tolerate a lift of .660 in. or so.
Move up to the JE's or CP's if you need more room right out of the box.
Or back off on the camshaft.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
We built a 408 with AFR 225's last year and used SRP pistons. Sub .700" roller cam, good thing is we only had to flycut the intake and exhaust valve reliefs. :smt097 At least with the Phords you only have to set up one time for each valve. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Our 438 is down right now waiting on 2pistons from probe. Thinking bout saving for ross/ diamonds after we get it back together. Not that the probes are bad just wont handle the amount of nitrous we going to put to it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ross= quality
truth here, thats what I put in mine had a mile of clearance and this is with a good size dome for 14.5 compression and .685 lift. plus you will get 2618 aluminum instead of 4032 with the srp.

·
Idiot Savant
167,203 Posts
Our 438 is down right now waiting on 2pistons from probe. Thinking bout saving for ross/ diamonds after we get it back together. Not that the probes are bad just wont handle the amount of nitrous we going to put to it.
They will if you don't screw up...:smt044 (actually depends on which ones you're using)..:-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
i would check if the other pistons have 5cc valve reliefs before you buy them. the problem with 58cc 225 AFR heads is they deck them so much the valves are flush with the deck. the problem you have is the big duration not lift.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Diamonds' shelf pistons have I belive deeper cut valve pockets, and should have plenty of clearance. if not (can figure out by you cam lift @TDC #s, valve drop in chamber, & piston to head clearance), how deep the valve pockets will need to be before ever ordering a piston.
With that said, on Diamond shelf pistons, they can be ordered with a (shelf change fee) to make what you need changed in one paticular area, whether it be an od bore size, C.D. change or ring pack change, or dish/dome/valve pocket change.
IMo Diamond are more flexible with their shelf line than any other piston co. out there. good luck. let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wasnt knocking the probes by no means. Been hitting em with a 120n jet in a IS plate for a year now. But just added a 28n jet fogger to it. Rotor phase bit me in the ass. Thats what got the two pistons. Mark check ur pm

·
Idiot Savant
167,203 Posts
I wasnt knocking the probes by no means. Been hitting em with a 120n jet in a IS plate for a year now. But just added a 28n jet fogger to it. Rotor phase bit me in the ass. Thats what got the two pistons. Mark check ur pm

I only have one thing to say. If you call Clint at the end of the Nascar race...he will be sleepy..but he doesn't wake up grumpy....:smt044

·
Idiot Savant
167,203 Posts
Diamonds' shelf pistons have I belive deeper cut valve pockets, and should have plenty of clearance. if not (can figure out by you cam lift @TDC #s, valve drop in chamber, & piston to head clearance), how deep the valve pockets will need to be before ever ordering a piston.
With that said, on Diamond shelf pistons, they can be ordered with a (shelf change fee) to make what you need changed in one paticular area, whether it be an od bore size, C.D. change or ring pack change, or dish/dome/valve pocket change.
IMo Diamond are more flexible with their shelf line than any other piston co. out there. good luck. let us know if we can help.
You actually need lift at 5 before and after split overlap, free drop, deck, and gasket. That stops most everyone at the 5 before and after split overlap part.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
You actually need lift at 5 before and after split overlap, free drop, deck, and gasket. That stops most everyone at the 5 before and after split overlap part.
you saying 5* before TDC and 5* after TDC? I know just before 0r After is a tad tighter than exact TDC.

What do you "split overlap"? I said valve drop, you called it free drop. I also said Piston to Head clearance, which is you gasket thickness and deck # (whether below, 0, or above deck)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts