Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an alternative to using the paper gasket that goes between the oil pump and block. The gasket's bolt holes are a tad too small and the fluid hole is misaligned to the pump body. Flipping the gasket makes no difference. Attempts at cutting the gasket (I tried 3 different gaskets) with an X-Acto knife, and even using a punch to open up the bolt holes, have so far been unsuccessful--the gasket tends to separate as it's being cut.

Automotive tire Automotive design Sportswear Personal protective equipment Athletic shoe

Does anyone have experience with these copper gaskets? Are they a better option?
Wood Font Circle Art Fashion accessory

Ref: Copper Oil Pump Mounting Gasket 5 Pack Ford V8 289 302 | eBay

I also experimented with using Loctite 518 flange sealant, but noticed the sealant will slightly push out a bit towards the fluid hole. Although it's anaerobic and won't dry-up and harden like silicone would, I'm hesitant to use it in such an application for the fear of potentially clogging up an oil passage.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oops, I was using the oil pump pickup gasket. I got confused between the two gaskets and realized I was using the wrong one, LOL. Anyway, just have to trim the edge on one side and it works perfectly.

This is the correct gasket...
Plant Circle Symmetry Art Pattern

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I think the last paper gasket I used was in 1984. Or was it 1985.....
I use silicon. In the case above bolt the pump in place lightly. Scribe around the outside of the mating surface. Keep the sil bead small & keep it as close as possible to the scribed lines, which ensures it is as far way as possible from the oil hole. Loctite 515/518 is probably ok, but I prefer sil.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still laughing about it because when the first one didn't fit I should have known better and stopped right there. I was test fitting the oil pump and pickup tube and without even thinking I grabbed the pickup gasket and attempted to use it on the oil pump.

At first I thought it was just a bad gasket, so I searched on Napa's website for "oil pump gasket" for a 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0. The results showed only one type of gasket available and in stock at a nearby store. So I thought, well that's it and picked up two. Going back now I see that I missed the word "Inlet" in the description.

Automotive tire Tire Font Circle Logo

Silly me tries again to fit the same pickup gaskets until the flickering light bulb in my head finally lit up. I look in the oil pump box and what do I find sandwiched between the packing paper and documentation? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Neither gasket that comes with the pump fits perfect. There's pretty much always some trimming to do. I've had the best luck with a hole punch against a piece of brass/copper/aluminum, or some other softer metal. The copper gaskets linked above look interesting.

There's no such thing as a true bolt-on. Pretty much every part will need massaged one way or the other.
Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts