Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a FelPro 1262R4, I had another oil leak failure at the back of the intake where the silicone bead fails, I've used the right stuff twice and once the original engine builder used something gray, that one failed instantly.

Someone recommended I try the Ford Diesel RTV which is what I have for this repair job, but in a few months I'll be installing a new 4150 carb style lower to replace my trick flow lower, I'd like to install the gaskets dry without silicone around the water jackets this time so I don't have to clean up the silicone when I do the swap, the gaskets I use don't have the blue seal.

Does anyone else install them dry with success?

Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Auto part Logo

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Ive been using the 1262R gasket for years and never had a leak, using basic ultra black permatex. Are you sure you dont have an issue with crank case pressure? With the R4 being so thick, it takes a pretty large bead on the china rails to fill that gap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been using the 1262R gasket for years and never had a leak, using basic ultra black permatex. Are you sure you dont have an issue with crank case pressure? With the R4 being so thick, it takes a pretty large bead on the china rails to fill that gap.
It's failed 3 times I think, I don't run a PCV, it's possible, yes the bead is super thick. I don't have any leak at the water jacket, it's at the china rail, I just don't wanna clean up the mess when I do the next swap.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Is it actually pushing the bead of silicone out, or coming around it? I extend the bead from the rail, up onto the intake gasket maybe 3/8" and create a bit of a dam.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it actually pushing the bead of silicone out, or coming around it? I extend the bead from the rail, up onto the intake gasket maybe 3/8" and create a bit of a dam.
I think it's just failing and seeping out the back, never had a problem in the front, I can try to go up the gasket this time, I end up slicing thru it to remove the intake, to right back there to get an eye on it

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Btw, I don't run a pcv either but both of my valve covers are vented with -10 AN fittings to a catch can. My next set of valve covers will have atleast -12 if not -16.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Btw, I don't run a pcv either but both of my valve covers are vented with -10 AN fittings to a catch can. My next set of valve covers will have atleast -12 if not -16.
I also run a -10 off of each valve cover also to a catch can, my car is twin turbo, I just posted in the NA section to get info on the intake gasket, didn't consider the issue may be related to boost

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
It may not be related at all, just figured it was worth mentioning. I've seen guys push gaskets on N/A combos because they changed to intakes without pcv provisions and never thought to vent the valve covers at all.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
make sure you are not leaking from the head gasket. a lot of head gaskets are made for the 8.2 block and the ears up to the valley are short for a 351 cleveland or windsor block and will leak at the corners where the manifold, head and china rail meet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may not be related at all, just figured it was worth mentioning. I've seen guys push gaskets on N/A combos because they changed to intakes without pcv provisions and never thought to vent the valve covers at all.
I'll snap a picture when I get home later and post it, motor was put together by Woody so I would assume this is not the issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if the -10 on each cover is not enough, I'm pretty much out of real estate, to mount another can anywhere, hopefully I just suck at laying down a solid silicone bead, let's hope the ford RTV does the trick.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I would as said above look at the head gaskets mine leaked and some mls gaskets don’t come up far enough to seal on a 9.500 deck block I had to pull the intake and put sealer in the gap between the end of the head gasket and the intake

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I wonder if the -10 on each cover is not enough, I'm pretty much out of real estate, to mount another can anywhere, hopefully I just suck at laying down a solid silicone bead, let's hope the ford RTV does the trick.
I think your issue is the silicone placement. I run overly excessive ring gaps and my 383 has been fine with the -10's at 16#'s. It may become an issue as you turn yours up. You'll know if it pushes the dipstick out, lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would as said above look at the head gaskets mine leaked and some mls gaskets don’t come up far enough to seal on a 9.500 deck block I had to pull the intake and put sealer in the gap between the end of the head gasket and the intake
I think your issue is the silicone placement. I run overly excessive ring gaps and my 383 has been fine with the -10's at 16#'s. It may become an issue as you turn yours up. You'll know if it pushes the dipstick out, lol.
My didpstick is a locking LOKAR one, it's useless, it's under the header and I have to check from underneath, real awkward, I wish I would've drilled some holes on the pan to run a clear tube for a visable oil level if that makes sense

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
My didpstick is a locking LOKAR one, it's useless, it's under the header and I have to check from underneath, real awkward, I wish I would've drilled some holes on the pan to run a clear tube for a visable oil level if that makes sense
I have a locking Lokar for my transmission. Yours sounds like a horrible design. Do you have to jack up the car to check the oil? I know what you mean about the fluid level. I've seen lots of those on cooling reservoirs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts