Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the motor in my fox freshened up and the heads need to be replaced.. It's a 347 stroker, Dart Iron Eagle and forged internals built for forced induction.. Most likely going with a TT setup.. Leaning towards AFR's but don't know much about the Trick Flow heads.. Pretty common so wanted to get some feedback from you guys from your experience with which way to go..

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Depends on how much power you want to make and what your budget is. The Brodix Neal's are a killer head but needs a specific valve relief. The new Brodix SBF Head Hunters are pretty sick but are 15* and basically a revamped Victor Sr. like Edelbrock used to make before the Glidden Victor 2's came out which is an 11* head. I just finished a Drag Week 368 SBF that I'm predicting will make 750hp on pump gas, pretty trick high rpm setup for street/strip. They flow +400cfm at .750" valve lift. I would have them do a different exhaust port for boosted application making over 1K hp. Trickflow has some decent options, again depending on power goals.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I can post some pics later tonight of the Head Hunter setup I just completed.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
Buy a set Yates/ Cleveland heads. Better head gasket clamping under boost. By a set bare and have them ported to accommodate your cubic inch and rpm . Later if more cubes are added then you could go bigger in the porting without having to buy again.
Afr sucks for Sbf.
High ports> Victors>Yates/Cleveland.
Port to your cubes/rpm so that it’s not soggy down low.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on how much power you want to make and what your budget is. The Brodix Neal's are a killer head but needs a specific valve relief. The new Brodix SBF Head Hunters are pretty sick but are 15* and basically a revamped Victor Sr. like Edelbrock used to make before the Glidden Victor 2's came out which is an 11* head. I just finished a Drag Week 368 SBF that I'm predicting will make 750hp on pump gas, pretty trick high rpm setup for street/strip. They flow +400cfm at .750" valve lift. I would have them do a different exhaust port for boosted application making over 1K hp. Trickflow has some decent options, again depending on power goals.
It's just a pump gas, street car with the motor built up for piece of mind.. Horsepower doesn't need to be crazy, but even with the smallest ball bearing Precisions (59mm) it'll have the potential of pumping out 1400hp which is no where wherw I want to be in a cageless 83 Fox on the street.. Definitely going to look into the Brodies now as I want to do something different and everyone seems to run AFR/TF on these cars..

Buy a set Yates/ Cleveland heads. Better head gasket clamping under boost. By a set bare and have them ported to accommodate your cubic inch and rpm . Later if more cubes are added then you could go bigger in the porting without having to buy again.
Afr sucks for Sbf.
That's interesting.. I know very little about the SBF's and how to set them up.. Was always impressed with AFR's BBC setups and figured theyd be that good across the board... The Yates/Cleveland heads work on an 8.2 block?

I ran ported low dollar TW170 heads on my 347. Went 8.30's at 168 with twin 66's at 3400 lbs with driver
Nice! Who's you use to do your TT setup? Can't seem to get any of the Foxbody turbo kit builders to respond..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I was leaning towards AFR's because it looks like they offer the biggest combustion chamber at 72cc, and I need to get the compression in the low 8's because I'll be running pump gas.. At 62.1cc's it right at 9.1:1..

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Afr sucks for Sbf.
AFR sucks ..lol what a clown you are

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone with Brodix and the BF202 Brodies would work perfect and flow huge, BUT there's no intakes out there for them on an 8.2 block.. Any ideas other than a sheet metal setup?

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
It's just a pump gas, street car with the motor built up for piece of mind.. Horsepower doesn't need to be crazy, but even with the smallest ball bearing Precisions (59mm) it'll have the potential of pumping out 1400hp which is no where wherw I want to be in a cageless 83 Fox on the street.. Definitely going to look into the Brodies now as I want to do something different and everyone seems to run AFR/TF on these cars..

That's interesting.. I know very little about the SBF's and how to set them up.. Was always impressed with AFR's BBC setups and figured theyd be that good across the board... The Yates/Cleveland heads work on an 8.2 block?

Nice! Who's you use to do your TT setup? Can't seem to get any of the Foxbody turbo kit builders to respond..
the BBC are good. The sbf program needs some work. Jmo.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Also, I was leaning towards AFR's because it looks like they offer the biggest combustion chamber at 72cc, and I need to get the compression in the low 8's because I'll be running pump gas.. At 62.1cc's it right at 9.1:1..
THe thinking of pump gas and low 8’s for compression is a thing if the past. It’ll be a slug to spool etc. Even just run 9.0 upwards of 9.5. It’ll be plenty happy and have a large, wide tuning window.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
Just got off the phone with Brodix and the BF202 Brodies would work perfect and flow huge, BUT there's no intakes out there for them on an 8.2 block.. Any ideas other than a sheet metal setup?
Buy a 9.2 cut the flange and re-weld the flange or buy the sheet metal.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
A lot of good heads mentioned in here.
My suggestion is solely based on getting away from inline type heads. They are the easiest to lift under boost and experience the most gasket failures.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I prefer canted valve heads but they are not always needed or practical. The Brodix Head Hunters can use a Super Victor 8.2 deck manifold but I had to make some custom end rail spacers on the waterjet and then machine them to fit. The ports are so high the end rail gaps are over .750". I screwed one half to the block and the other half to the intake leaving just enough room for a thin layer of RTV between them to maximize sealing. Holley has just released a new 8.2 deck High Ram manifold that is not really any taller overall than a Super Victor, carb and air cleaner. There would be less porting with this option. I spent a ton of hours porting the Super Victor and still don't like the small plenum area of the 4150 style intake. There is not a Dominator flanged intake commercially available that I know of. We may change this setup since we may now be going to port injection vs the Sniper TB EFI the customer already had before the build started and is now of questionable HP capacity.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am running these Brodix 210 cc heads that are CNC machined by Keith Craft. Not as much flow as the heads mentioned but more than enough for your goals. They are decent heads, running them on a 395w.

https://craftperformanceengines.com/heads7.html
Nice.. Those flow numbers are right there with the AFR's and High Ports..

I prefer canted valve heads but they are not always needed or practical. The Brodix Head Hunters can use a Super Victor 8.2 deck manifold but I had to make some custom end rail spacers on the waterjet and then machine them to fit. The ports are so high the end rail gaps are over .750". I screwed one half to the block and the other half to the intake leaving just enough room for a thin layer of RTV between them to maximize sealing. Holley has just released a new 8.2 deck High Ram manifold that is not really any taller overall than a Super Victor, carb and air cleaner. There would be less porting with this option. I spent a ton of hours porting the Super Victor and still don't like the small plenum area of the 4150 style intake. There is not a Dominator flanged intake commercially available that I know of. We may change this setup since we may now be going to port injection vs the Sniper TB EFI the customer already had before the build started and is now of questionable HP capacity.
I saw that new Holley intake and like it a lot.. You think that will flow enough and be a nice match with these Head Hunters without any machine work? Honestly, I like this combo the best..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts