Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching online and can’t find an answer. Stock E7 heads, I upgraded the springs with a Crane kit that includes springs, retainers and locks. The locks are different for intake and exhaust. I have confirmed I have them right. Fresh engine with TFS stage 1 cam and new lifters. After some run time on the engine I have valve train noise. Pulled the cover tonight and all the intake rockers have slop. I can wiggle and rock them. What I noticed is all the intake stems are lower that the exhaust. Is this normal? I don’t remember them being different but it’s been a while since I messed with one of these. Stock pushrods and rockers.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The valves in those heads have different length valve stems. The factory arrangement used s two piece intake retainer and exhaust rotor. The different height locks in the Crane kit account for the difference in height.

As for the loose rockers, it is new or has it been there since the cam was installed?

If it has been there the whole time, the cam is probably on a litt smaller base circle than normal. It used to happen often on older Crane hydraulic rollers. If thats the case, you probably need a little longer pushrod.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine is a fresh rebuild so it’s like this since new. I for sure have the locks installed correctly. I first thought that may have been it but when I checked they are right. The lifters are pumped up so I am thinking it has to be the cam. No matter what spring I would have in there the valve is all the way up and the rocker is loose. These are stock stamped rockers, stock pushrods. Block and heads have never been milled. It’s odd it’s just on the intake side but I guess anything is possible. I am able to put a .030 feeler gauge between the rocker and valve stem so I am planning on just ordering a pushrod length checking tool and order new pushrods.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
The engine is a fresh rebuild so it’s like this since new. I for sure have the locks installed correctly. I first thought that may have been it but when I checked they are right. The lifters are pumped up so I am thinking it has to be the cam. No matter what spring I would have in there the valve is all the way up and the rocker is loose. These are stock stamped rockers, stock pushrods. Block and heads have never been milled. It’s odd it’s just on the intake side but I guess anything is possible. I am able to put a .030 feeler gauge between the rocker and valve stem so I am planning on just ordering a pushrod length checking tool and order new pushrods.
Cam likely has a smaller base circle than stock, making things loose. This is fixed with a longer pushrod. Get some pushrods that are 0.050"-ish longer than stock, and you should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts