Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get parts together to finally get rid of my factory 5.0 block, hopefully before i run into problems. With so many options I was wondering which would be the best fit. For starters, it will be a NA 363 10.5 : 1 neutral balance pump gas combo hoping to make peak power around 7800 and shifting around 8k. It should stay that way for a few years as I work on the chassis/ suspension setup for more power than it will make NA. Down the road I plan on adding a meth kit and a small blower to get it up to around the 800hp range to reach my final goal of 150 mph in the quarter. Which block to you guy recommend? FRPP 8.2 BOSS or one of the Darts? No, I don't want to go 8.5. Thanks

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dart SHP comes with billet caps should meet your goals.
Should, but is the durability there for miles of street abuse also?
Also, isn't that an overseas core?

I think you did the machine work on my brother in laws stock block 427. Very nice! I'll be giving you a call when I get the specifics figured out with mine.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Should, but is the durability there for miles of street abuse also?
Also, isn't that an overseas core?

I think you did the machine work on my brother in laws stock block 427. Very nice! I'll be giving you a call when I get the specifics figured out with mine.

Dart products are made in USA.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dart products are made in USA.
Thanks!

If it where your engine and had the same goals as I have, would you opt for the Sportsman over the SHP?

Curious why neither of you mentioned the BOSS block, Dart that much better? I have heard about the short walls but have also heard it's no big deal.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,499 Posts
Thanks!

If it where your engine and had the same goals as I have, would you opt for the Sportsman over the SHP?

Curious why neither of you mentioned the BOSS block, Dart that much better? I have heard about the short walls but have also heard it's no big deal.
That's why no one recommended it. I would rather an SVO block anyway....Ford blocks are great quality pieces man, the cylinders are just too short for my liking.

I would go with the sportsman for your goals.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dart Iron Eagle --- should be the last block you'll ever need.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Thanks!

The Sportsman blocks is surely a better piece and it 350.00 more then the SHP block.

I would go with the Sportsman block.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
What are your power expectations....I have a Dart Block and if I had to do it over again I would of did a older 351 block....

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
The 8.2" SHP block has 1/2" main bolts, but the Sportsman and Iron Eagle only have 7/16". The SHP came out AFTER the others, and they did the upgrade. Don't know why they never put 1/2" fasteners in the higher end blocks????

The Ford Boss 302 block has significantly shorter cylinders than even the factory blocks, and many don't like to use the 3.4" stroke with them. Part of the pin even hangs out of the bottom of the cylinder at BDC... I believe it's about a 1/4" of it.

I bought the Sportsman... Got it before they came out with the SHP. Kind of wish I had the SHP for the stronger main bolts. Carl, what other differences are there between the two blocks? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The 8.2" SHP block has 1/2" main bolts, but the Sportsman and Iron Eagle only have 7/16". The SHP came out AFTER the others, and they did the upgrade. Don't know why they never put 1/2" fasteners in the higher end blocks????

The Ford Boss 302 block has significantly shorter cylinders than even the factory blocks, and many don't like to use the 3.4" stroke with them. Part of the pin even hangs out of the bottom of the cylinder at BDC... I believe it's about a 1/4" of it.

I bought the Sportsman... Got it before they came out with the SHP. Kind of wish I had the SHP for the stronger main bolts. Carl, what other differences are there between the two blocks? Thanks!
I think you will find all the Ford blocks with 302 mains will have 7/16 bolts and the blocks with the 351 blocks have 1/2 bolts.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are your power expectations....I have a Dart Block and if I had to do it over again I would of did a older 351 block....
The end goal will be about 800hp but 550 - 575 NA for now. I want to stick 8.2, the 8.5 block would be to big of a PITA in my '65, pretty tight. Plus, have a couple nice electric H2O pumps and nice oil pan that would have to be sold for next to nothing switching over.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I think you will find all the Ford blocks with 302 mains will have 7/16 bolts and the blocks with the 351 blocks have 1/2 bolts.
Nope. The SHP has 1/2" main bolts, and the Sportsman and Iron Eagle have 7/16". I have the Sportsman, as I purchased it before the SHP came out, but kind of wish I would have waited!

SHP
http://www.dartheads.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/07/SHP-Ford-302-Tech-Sheet.pdf

Sportsman
http://www.dartheads.com/products/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/38/

Iron Eagle
http://www.dartheads.com/products/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/36/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts