Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am trying to decide between Afr 220's or Vic Jr's the Vic Jr's will be bare and i will be supplying my own valve train and having them ported not sure who will would be doing the porting or do i buy the Afr 220's and still have to buy the right springs locks and retainers. Remember this is a 306 with a ysi making around 21psi

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any reason you haven't considered Trickflow? They have a nice cnc program or even the "fast as cast" heads. Give Kris a call at All Out Auto, He's a dealer for Trickflow and won't steer you wrong! 856-881-7870

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ok i am trying to decide between Afr 220's or Vic Jr's the Vic Jr's will be bare and i will be supplying my own valve train and having them ported not sure who will would be doing the porting or do i buy the Afr 220's and still have to buy the right springs locks and retainers. Remember this is a 306 with a ysi making around 21psi
Why would u need to buy new springs, locks & retainers for ? If ur ordering new then u would tell them what springs u need. Reatiners i can see u getting the Ti ones if thats what ur talking about & If not they come with the steel retainers. are u running a solid roller or a hyd roller cam ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had Vic Jr on a 393 sbf. X trim 22lbs of boost. C16 non inner cooled. Blow through. Made 1115 hp. Vic Jr is a good head. Brian Mitchell also ran Vic Jr on his ren car and was one of the fastest guys running a ysi.

·
Registered
736 Posts
This is Kevin ? i can tell u what springs u need to get with the 220 head. If u r getting them from afr or whoever tell them u want the 8002 spring that afr offers. That will put u @ 165 lbs on the seat @ 1.950 installed height & give u 430lbs open pressure. Its good up to 650 lift those r the springs i ran with my afr 205s with the freezy74 hyd roller cam & crane tie-bar lifters. Btw way afr wont charge u for the springs if u let them know those r the springs u want when u buy the heads, they will charge extra for the ti reatainers, i set my heads up myself pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is Kevin ? i can tell u what springs u need to get with the 220 head. If u r getting them from afr or whoever tell them u want the 8002 spring that afr offers. That will put u @ 165 lbs on the seat @ 1.950 installed height & give u 430lbs open pressure. Its good up to 650 lift those r the springs i ran with my afr 205s with the freezy74 hyd roller cam & crane tie-bar lifters. Btw way afr wont charge u for the springs if u let them know those r the springs u want when u buy the heads, they will charge extra for the ti reatainers, i set my heads up myself pretty easy to do.
Yep its me i bought that cam off my buddy he sold his project off i was kinda disappointed i was really wanting to see what it would run but oh well so now i have it and i am gonna stick in my motor with a bad ass set of heads and we are gonna see what happens. I worked at a machine shop for a couple yrs so setting them up won't be to bad to do myself.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yep its me i bought that cam off my buddy he sold his project off i was kinda disappointed i was really wanting to see what it would run but oh well so now i have it and i am gonna stick in my motor with a bad ass set of heads and we are gonna see what happens. I worked at a machine shop for a couple yrs so setting them up won't be to bad to do myself.
Well that sucks, like u said try it out in ur car i made 919 rwhp with that cam and ran 8.70s @ 158 mph ;) What i did find out was the cam made the best power @ 6800 rpm i tried shifting higher didnt make a difference. Btw my pulley combo was 8'' crank & a 2.75" supercharger pulley.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well that sucks, like u said try it out in ur car i made 919 rwhp with that cam and ran 8.70s @ 158 mph ;) What i did find out was the cam made the best power @ 6800 rpm i tried shifting higher didnt make a difference. Btw my pulley combo was 8'' crank & a 2.75" supercharger pulley.
I am hoping that with mine being a 306 that i might gain some more rpm out of it and the Afr220 head's i was only turning mine 6400 and making 21psi if i can turn it 7000+ i hope to see 25psi+ and 800+ hp

·
Registered
736 Posts
I am hoping that with mine being a 306 that i might gain some more rpm out of it and the Afr220 head's i was only turning mine 6400 and making 21psi if i can turn it 7000+ i hope to see 25psi+ and 800+ hp
Thats true smaller engine might change the power band of the cam. Kevin the Ysi like alot of rpm so if ur not planning on spinning the motor that high u need to run a smaller blower pulley. Trust me u put a 2.75" blower pulley and shift @ 7000+ u will make 30lbs+ boost and make 900 rwhp :D Dont be scared bro

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats true smaller engine might change the power band of the cam. Kevin the Ysi like alot of rpm so if ur not planning on spinning the motor that high u need to run a smaller blower pulley. Trust me u put a 2.75" blower pulley and shift @ 7000+ u will make 30lbs+ boost and make 900 rwhp :D Dont be scared bro
I am not afraid to turn it that's for

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had Vic Jr on a 393 sbf. X trim 22lbs of boost. C16 non inner cooled. Blow through. Made 1115 hp. Vic Jr is a good head. Brian Mitchell also ran Vic Jr on his ren car and was one of the fastest guys running a ysi.
Hey bud, I'm just wondering what the compression ratio was on your pistons for that 393?? What rotating assy did you go with?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.