Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a 398 windsor. I can only get about 6300-6600 RPM's. I would like to get more HP and RPM...

Whats it cost to go from hydraulic roller to solid roller?

Also what can I get for extra HP out of a solid roller? Also needs to be safe for 3.85 cast crank, Billet I beam 5.9xx rods and Probe pistons.... 10.4 compression. Cam now is like 248/252 @50 597/608 total 1.6. It made 449 HP at 6,000 RPM's and 424 TQ at 4,800 RPM's.

Prosystems 950 carb, Victor Jr ported by TMOSS, 10.4 compression, MSD dist., MSD digital 6, water pump, and alternator.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hey Skip! Why not just put a basic Cleveland together with a solid roller with the usual stuff and shift about 8k rpm's!!.....;)

Just messin' with ya Bro! Are your current springs up to par/good? With a solid roller I get a good feeling upgrading the valves (Manley severe duty) and running a decent spring with a Tit retainer. Thats more than a couple hundred!!! But thats just me.

Tater

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually have beehives and they won't live long with a solid roller

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Did the same conversion and used the valves that came with the heads. Springs $300 Retainers $130 Shaft rockers $1,100 Cam $300 Good Lifters $600 Machine work on heads to accept the bigger diameter spring $250 Pushrods $180 That's about $2800 but I know I'm missing a couple things. I want to say it was right under $4K for the swap when it was all said and done. Obviously you don't have to run shaft rockers but they're worth the money.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the same conversion and used the valves that came with the heads. Springs $300 Retainers $130 Shaft rockers $1,100 Cam $300 Good Lifters $600 Machine work on heads to accept the bigger diameter spring $250 Pushrods $180 That's about $2800 but I know I'm missing a couple things. I want to say it was right under $4K for the swap when it was all said and done. Obviously you don't have to run shaft rockers but they're worth the money.
How much horsepower did you pick up or how much faster did you run?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Call Probe for your shaft rockers or if you have stud mount with good rockers on it, call them for a girdle. Either way you'll save $400 to $600 on the total.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call Probe for your shaft rockers or if you have stud mount with good rockers on it, call them for a girdle. Either way you'll save $400 to $600 on the total.
Sold my girdle awhile back ago because it was letting to much oil blow out the breather hole. They are the Pro magnums. Might get another set of girdles and try them again.... Got better breather filters now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Definetly call Probe when you get into this. Their stuff is well built and engineered and their customer support is great. If it isn't you, can always talk to the owner.....Mark O'Neal is in the political section of YB just about every weekday.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
897 Posts
custom cam and springs $680.00 lifters $320.00 dont know on the gain yet iam going from a anderson n113 to a custom ed curtis grind.cant say enough about his customer service,atleast 20+ emails and might as well of held my hand when i degreed it in lol.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,142 Posts
Dump the beehives and get a good double spring with damper, and you will be surprised how many rpm you pick up.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
How much horsepower did you pick up or how much faster did you run?
Don't know how much hp since we don't dyno this car but we are now able to rev to 7400+ where as before we saw around 63-6400 before we ran into valve float issues. Springs are now 1.6 double springs and the heads are only machined for a 1.55 so you have to get the spring pockets machined to accept the larger springs. You might be able to find a decent 1.55 spring but I needed a high spring pressure and had to go with the 1.6. I'm impressed with the AFR's because I have the 205's and will see 5.20's or better with them real soon.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dump the beehives and get a good double spring with damper, and you will be surprised how many rpm you pick up.
Are you saying stay with the hydraulic roller and just switch out the springs? I had double springs in before and they said good for 600 lift. I couldn't get much past 6-6200 rpm's...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts