Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was wondering what you guys thought this combination would go and how much hp it would make?

Car is a 1992 Mustang
3000 Pounds w/driver
28-10.5 Slick
8" Converter(Car will more than likely foot brake to 4500 to 5000 Rpm)( MW Dual rear Calipers)

438Cubic Inch
Fuel Injected
14.5:1 to 15.5:1 compression
Cam(Solid Roller) unknow - but will be shifting the car at 8500
Cylinder Heads Brodix Track 1 with 2.10int/1.60exh 215CC
T&D Shaft Mounted Rocker Arms 1.6 Ratio
Intake manifold Reichard Racing Box with port match lower R series intake to 1262R
Canton Aluminum Oil Pan with Kick out
2" Kooks Headers to 3.5in Collector
4.88 to 5.13 gears in the rear
Electric Water Pump and Fans
Wet Sump Oil pump and Billet Steel Timing Chain

·
Big Block Killer
1,011 Posts
Actually I posted that wrong Shifting at 7500 Looking to get a cam good upto 8000
Cam should be whatever it needs to be to best utilize the parts that you have. I don't suggest trying to find a cam that is "good to 8000" cause this cam probably won't be whats best for your future combo if you're thinking of future growth. Have a custom cam done up to match what you have and when you change your combo, buy another cam for that combo...this is the best thing to do to get the most out of your parts

just my two cents

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you guys think I should go with small Cubic inch like a 400- 410 to maximize my horsepower per cubic inch with the heads I have and go with a cam that fits my setup . How much horsepoer you think setup like this would make instead of 438. Or is it worth it to just go 438 for know?

·
Registered
761 Posts
i love my 438 its been 9.67 at 141.49 ,1.38 60 foot on dot tires on 93 octane on motor with a tfs highport,950 carb,and alot less compression than you are wanting to run,and i shift at 6900,the cars in the 3050 area,i had dart 225s on it it ran 9.77 at almost 139.
i dont know how fast you want to go,but shifting at 8500 in a 438 should get you into the 8s id think,and that means a better head,more converter than wht you posted and so on,the whole package has to be right to achieve a number you are happy with.

·
Big Block Killer
1,011 Posts
You need to have an ET or horsepower goal in mind before you begin to build. Once you have that, you should decide on the heads and intake that would support your goal. Induction and cubic inch will decide at what RPM your power will be made. Example, a 400ci engine may make 800hp at 9000rpm but a 454ci may do it at 7000rpm. Basically you need to consider what you want and where you want it.

I hope this makes some since.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
The heads will support approx 675hp, regardless of the displacement.
Huh?

You need to have an idea of what your goals are. Those heads will not feed that motor, If you use them you should shoot for HP peak around 6500 I'd guess. Reving it up to make power only works if you can feed it enough air.

·
thread killer
4,075 Posts
Huh?

You need to have an idea of what your goals are. Those heads will not feed that motor, If you use them you should shoot for HP peak around 6500 I'd guess. Reving it up to make power only works if you can feed it enough air.
The heads will feed the motor, but it will peak way earlier than anticipated.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
get some work done to the heads and intake ..then get flow # for them and order your cam ,rotating assembly and choose displacement around them to build a well matched combo, you will be much happier .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like the car to go between 9.00's to 9.30's some where in that range. Either with the 438 or a 410. What are some recomendations as far as heads and who to go to? Also I dont really want to go to a full canted valve I no the twisted wedge are slightly? I would like a head also that I will be able to have furture growth? I was thing the twisted high ports or r series from fox lake or tea.
THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
936 Posts
those heads on that much stroke will prob make peak around 6800 to 7000.... now you could have someone with experiance port the heads and fix the few flaws they have and they could make peak power at around 7500 on that many cubic inch's..... i use those heads on alot of my customer's engines.... we have made 685 fwhp on 362 cubic inches with a .540 lift hyd roller cam.... those head's will move alot of air with really good air speed in the port...... david

·
Big Block Killer
1,011 Posts
I like the Vic Srs from TEA they are excellent heads and will certainly do what you want with room for growth. The 245cc and 255cc High ports from TEA are great too but my engine guy suggested I get the Victors because of the future growth in them. None of these heads are cheap, especially the Victors but you get what you pay for. I you are not limited to engine size, class restrictions, or anything like that, I suggest going as big as you possibly can on the cubic inch or you'll have to turn is pretty hard to get what you want.

·
Big Block Killer
1,011 Posts
those heads on that much stroke will prob make peak around 6800 to 7000.... now you could have someone with experiance port the heads and fix the few flaws they have and they could make peak power at around 7500 on that many cubic inch's..... i use those heads on alot of my customer's engines.... we have made 685 fwhp on 362 cubic inches with a .540 lift hyd roller cam.... those head's will move alot of air with really good air speed in the port...... david
Which of the heads are you referring to, the TFS TW heads or the High Ports?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I would like the car to go between 9.00's to 9.30's some where in that range. Either with the 438 or a 410. What are some recomendations as far as heads and who to go to? Also I dont really want to go to a full canted valve I no the twisted wedge are slightly? I would like a head also that I will be able to have furture growth? I was thing the twisted high ports or r series from fox lake or tea.
THANKS AGAIN
It's worth contacting Jay Allen over at www.CamshaftInnovations.com I was told TEA is coming out with a new Twisted Wedge R program that is close to the baddest Hi-Port program. Suited for larger SBF stroker deals

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking about tea's twisted wedge r series heads the 235cc outlaw or the twisted wedge high port heads 255cc from tea

1 - 20 of 59 Posts